585,741 active members*
4,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rebuilding Router, Need help!

Hello, I have started trying to rebuild an old CNC Mill Router as a summer project, and I have hit a few major problems.

This is what I have:

2'(X) x 3'(Y) x 1'(Z) Gantry Type 3 axis CNC. (Very Solid Machine)

Variable speed spindle 8,000-24,000 RPM. (1-2 HP i think?)

Lead Screw seems to be a 5/8-5 worm screw, 0.2" lead, single start.

Current stepper motors are SLO-SYN 100oz 2.6V 3.1A DChz 8 wire. (Z seems to have a decoder)

What I would like to do:

Replace all the motors with some newer ones. I have been looking at the kits availible at probotix. But after lots of researching I notice a lot of people seem to trust KELING and GECKO products so I'm not sure whats best?

Put together or buy a controller to run the steppers and connect it to my computer to run the maching using MACH 3.

I want to use this machine on materials from soft wood up to aluminum.

Spend less than 1000 dollars if I can.

So what I need help with is:

1. Everything from what motors to buy to best suit my machine and use, drivers, controller, wiring, etc.

2. Everything in between.

So if someone with experience can help me with a list of everything I need to buy, and where to buy it from, I would be very grateful. I understand the concept of rebuilding it, but I just dont have the knowledge of whats best suited for this machine to get it running like the beast she can be.

Thanks

I completly agree on the keling and gecko parts.

G540 3 axis package (One G540 + Three
    KL23H284-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with a flat) 387 oz-in + one KL-350-
    48 48V/7.3A 115V /230V power supply: $494.95

Mach3 for 149$ when ordering with something else.

throw in a estop 10$, some limit switches 3.29$ x6, parallel cable 8.95$. and get a really good package for less than 700$

Use your extra 300$ for motor/limit wire, paint job, extras, etc..

All above is at kelinginc.net

Ive had really good luck with this same kit on my 4'x4' build.
    Nick
    I Know I Cant Spell..Don't Remind Me

If you want to save money, EMC2 and Linux are free and work much better than what you might expect at the price. I'm using it on a couple machines and think its great.

Alan

I belive that this information would you be necesary for you.
    http://www.mecatrobotic.com/contruye...outer-cnc.html
    This information is of great help for you can building your own cnc router
    This information is in english, the page is in spanish, but you need mor information you can write me to [email protected] I can you send any free information. You can to see this video in youtube [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDJZGfgXde4&NR=1"]YouTube - Fabricacià³n de Router CNC[/ame] this Router CNC is the first that I build and works perfectly.

I'm useing the G540, Keling steppers, and power supply. I have zero complaints. The more you research it, the more you'll see it's the best value/no hassle setup you can get. Good stuff.

Thanks guys this really helps, I'll post back here when I have it all hooked up! Or sooner if I run into another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    If you want to save money, EMC2 and Linux are free and work much better than what you might expect at the price. I'm using it on a couple machines and think its great.

Alan
    I'll second what Alan says. It's what i used for my first build.

My second build computer has Vista Business edition and the trial version of Mach3 since I need to learn Mach3 eventually as well. It will have a dual boot setup so I can use either OS and the relevant CAM software. I will use CamBam trial version to generate gcode for both, and will learn LazyCAM also.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I'll second what Alan says. It's what i used for my first build.

My second build computer has Vista Business edition and the trial version of Mach3 since I need to learn Mach3 eventually as well. It will have a dual boot setup so I can use either OS and the relevant CAM software. I will use CamBam trial version to generate gcode for both, and will learn LazyCAM also.

CarveOne
    Another very easy cam program with a free trial is Meshcam. With cut 3d being the easiest I've seen, Meshcam comes in at a close second. Comes with a 30 day trail. 175 to buy. Only down side is it doesn't come with a cut viewer. There are free cut viewers out there you could use though.