585,917 active members*
3,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Collets?

Collets?

Wich is a better style of collet Syoz 25, ER32, or ER40? We need to get a few extra tool holders for our some of our CNCs. They are currently using HSK 63F holders with Syoz 25 collets. But we have had some problems with bit vibrations leaving undesirable tool marks, when using 1/4" and 1/2" endmills. By playing with tool length and or RPMs I can usually get them smoothed out, but it is a bit of a pain. Would a better/different collet system potentially improve this? Or is there to little difference between these to matter much? I've noticed the ER 32 collets usually have about twice as meny cuts in them as the SYOZ 25, will this tend to give better or worse clamping on these bits? How do they compair for centering and runout? I don't think heat shrink is a viable option for us (we change bits a lot)

how often do you replace the collets?

i was reading a manufacturer's recomendation to trash them every 720-1000 hrs of run time?

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

On 1/2" collets we probably get 1-2000 hours on one, but I would consider myself very lucky to get 750 out of a 1/4" collet, 500 is probably closer to average for those.

i purchase a lot here,

collets page 99-102

http://www.southeasttool.com/catalog/pageA.html

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zuercher View Post
    Wich is a better style of collet Syoz 25, ER32, or ER40? We need to get a few extra tool holders for our some of our CNCs. They are currently using HSK 63F holders with Syoz 25 collets. But we have had some problems with bit vibrations leaving undesirable tool marks, when using 1/4" and 1/2" endmills. By playing with tool length and or RPMs I can usually get them smoothed out, but it is a bit of a pain. Would a better/different collet system potentially improve this? Or is there to little difference between these to matter much? I've noticed the ER 32 collets usually have about twice as meny cuts in them as the SYOZ 25, will this tend to give better or worse clamping on these bits? How do they compair for centering and runout? I don't think heat shrink is a viable option for us (we change bits a lot)
    There shouldn't be a problem with SYOZ collets. I've used them for years. The collets do get worn and require replacement though. Be sure to clean the collets and tool holders every chance you get.