584,871 active members*
5,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Turcite???

Turcite???

Can anyone tell me what size Turcite is used on a 4020 table and saddle? Width, thickness and length.

Thanks,

you must do the saddle turcite too! Reason? It carries the weigth of the table and its own. I pm with my coute on a Sad&tab but did not get an answear.

denmar,
    I got a PM from you asking for my serial# and screw pitch, so you could quote it. I replied.

Too bad, I just put my table back on the machine so I can't measure it up for you. That said you don't necessarily need to do the saddle too. Turcite seems to fail either from lack of lubrication or physical destruction from embedded chips sticking in pitted ways and tearing it up. Fortunately the saddle has way wipers on it so if those are still functioning and your lubrication was fine it might just be okay. There are no wipers on the x axis so chips can do their thing. Oddly, the front table turcite on my mill was much more worn than the back with visible streak marks. The back table turcite and all of the turcite on my lathe looks almost flawless by comparison.

Dave,
    Did you take any pictures of your Turcite, while you had the table off? I am going to take mine off over the next couple of days. My front Turcite looks to be worn more than my rear. It has chip damage that I can see with the table still on. I will send post pictures of mine once I get it off. How was the turcit on your gibs and straps? I took one gib out and it came out without the turcite. The strap I took off had about an inch of lift on the turcite.