585,722 active members*
4,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

So it begins!

Hello,

I have a box of bits and the task of getting it to work. I understanmd the princaples - but that's about it. I've spent the night researching what I have, but as I search for answers in my head I simply bring up new ones.

I'm trying to setup a 2 axis router table. I have the table, servos, drivers, a card and computer.

If someone could help me simply physically get everything linked - correctly I'd be happy as that would be a start.

I have:

Kollomorgen Goldline XT servo x2:

Kollomorgen ServoStar CD drives x2:

Galil DMC-1832 motion card:

and I want to use Mach 3 with the apropriate Galil plug-in.

So my questions are:

1,What cable do I need to connect card to the 2x drives. Eventally I want to add another axis. And where can I get it? There is a cable on the drive plugged into the 'input' but it has be cut... see picture. It's a D-sub type at the card. All servo cables are present.

2,There's cables attached on the power input bus (drives) on L1, L2 (bottom 2 black cables) ... what do these do? How do I power the unit? - is it to do with B+ and C.

I have the servostar .pdf but it simply lables things, and i'm unaware of the definitions.

3, I assume I need a driver for the galil card but am overwhelmed by the amount of downloads on the galil site. I just want to get it installed. Any pointers?

Is this all going to work? I beleave all this equipment to have been used together before although not sure if they were using mach3.

Any other help or pointers at this early stage would be great. Anyone with expirience of the servostarCD drives would be great.

1. You will need a Galil ICM-2900 terminal block and a 100 pin cable to connect it and the Galil card. You will then connect the drive input and output signals to the ICM-2900. The PDF you linked to has all of that information on page 12. You will be using C3 for the drive control and C4 for encoder feedback, all to connect to the Galil ICM-2900. The ICM-2900 and cable are available from Galil.

2. L1 and L2 are the AC inputs. Connect the appropriate A/C voltage to these. Post your drive part number and that will tell a lot about what voltages are required. B+ and C are for braking and you will most likely not need to connect them.

3. For use with Mach, you need the Galil SmartTerm software, version 6.1. Then download the latest Galil plugin from Machsupport.com

The whole combination of Mach/Galil/Kolmoregen should work fine. Your challenge will be getting the cable ends for the servos, if you don't have them. As far as getting another axis, your 1832 has 3 axis capability, so you won't need anymore than you already have as far as the Galil is concerned. You will simply need another drive and servo.

Steve

thanks you so much!

I'll check my drive part number - to clarify L1 / L2 are for drive power. Which polarities would go to each?

I understand Mach 3 will work staright out of the parallel port into the drives... would this work rather than going via the galil card?

thanks again.

If you want to run it through the parallel port, then yes. You will need some sort of breakout parallel port board. But you will not have closed loop operation.

Polarity won't matter on A/C. Just the voltage matters. (220 vs. 110, etc...)

Steve