585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Would like to built a twinn... need help to start.

Red face Would like to built a twinn... need help to start.

I everybody,

What I want to do is to built a 2 stroke twinn cylinder engine that will use some part (cylinder, piston, conecting rod... ) of the small and low cost engine found on "leaf blower" and "weed wacker". This will simplify the work to do. But I dont know where to start.... I don't have a clue on how to build and design the base. I made some search but I found nothing that could help me to start my project... I will like to power a model airplane with it.

Want to built something that will look like that.

A little help will be apreciate, if you have some good link that could help me.

Thanks

I would start with the crank case, get dims of the cylinder head, and start modeling out the components that will make up the engine. DA 100 is nothing more that 2 DA50's with a redesigned crankcase , you may even be able to use the crank shaft. What cad/cam software do you have do draw this? What size engine are you shooting for 100 or 150cc?

Hi Paul,

The size I would like will be smaller, around 40cc to 70cc (using two 20cc to 35cc engine). I also think the crank case is the place to start, but it's also the more complicate part to design. In a two stroke the mixture pass in the crank case, so the design is important and it's that knowledge I don't have.

I will begin to study how the actual crank case is made, and see if I could use the actual unit.

I will use SolidWorks for the cad software.

:cheers: CrazyRonny :cheers:

Have you designed or built a IC engine before? If not, a simpler single cylinder model may be a better place to start...

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Don't the "weedwacker" engines have a "monoblock" construction (Cylinder & block cast as one)?

twin

on a twin 2 stroke you would have to have two journals on the crank opposite because both pistons have to hit top dead center at the same time. so you have vacuum and pressure for the 2 stroke engine to run. yes there is several weed wacker motors that have removable cylinders, most homelite being one.