585,735 active members*
4,700 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Alarm 122 and 123 on my 1994 Haas VF-1

Alarm 122 and 123 on my 1994 Haas VF-1

I just replaced the DS307(GPD503) spindle drive on my Haas VF-1, checked the parameters, started up the machine and ran the spindle warm up program which ran fine. But when I tried to load the tools, it started giving ALARM 123 and then 122. When I opened the back panel, I could see the heating element (with metal enclosure) next to the drive getting red hot. When I powered off and powered on, the heater (regen?) gets red hot and gives me the two alarm codes. Whatz wrong? Is my wiring to the drive wrong or something else? Please help, I have demo to be shown on the machine within 2 days.

Thanks,
    Harry Amble.

What is the alarm message?

I don't know the early machines very well, but the regen resistor is controlled by the spindle drive. That suggests that either you wired it wrong on installation or there is something wrong with the new drive.

That resistor gets connected to the motor only when it's slowing down (to absorb the generated current and stop the spindle). If it's 'on' all the time, that means the drive isn't switching it in and out of circuit properly.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by James L View Post
    What is the alarm message?
    The Alarm messages (synopsis) are:

123: Spindle fault
    122: Overheating of regen

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    I don't know the early machines very well, but the regen resistor is controlled by the spindle drive. That suggests that either you wired it wrong on installation or there is something wrong with the new drive.

That resistor gets connected to the motor only when it's slowing down (to absorb the generated current and stop the spindle). If it's 'on' all the time, that means the drive isn't switching it in and out of circuit properly.
    Greg,

You may be right. I am using the GPD515 connecting diagram to connect my replacement of GPD503 (DS 307) drive. Maybe the connection is wrong. BTW what is the heating elements (with ribbed elements) next to the drive which are enclosed in a U shape metal enclosure?

Thanks,
    Harry Amble

p

Heating Element

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the heating element's function is to burn off the residual charge in the capacitors.