585,663 active members*
2,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > can fanuc ac digital servo amplifiers be run by a controller other than fanuc?

can fanuc ac digital servo amplifiers be run by a controller other than fanuc?

I have a matched set of three fanuc red cap ac servo motors model 20s and a06B-6058-H006 amplifiers, as shown in the attached photos

I am not ready to spend the money for a full fanuc system, just yet.

I was wondering if there is any other kind of milling machine controller, like EMC or Mach that would work with suitable adapters.

This is for a newly built machine, so I am starting from scratch.
    It would only have to work well enough for semi hobby use , with no tool changer or plc, for a couple of years until I am ready for an industrial duty upgrade.

I could get by with less than the full rated torque and still leave my options open for the future.

I have been studying the manuals and the hook up looks simple enough. The power supply is built in. there are three wires for power in, three wires for power out to the motor and a 20 pin honda connector.

I am not sure about the two middle wires marked 100b and 100a. I am guessing that they are for the command signal from the controller.

There are no potentiometers anywhere an the unit so I don't know how one would tune or adjust the parameters without a fanuc controller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trimmed2_1.jpg   IMG_0353_1.JPG  

EMC prolly can drive those.

I know Hurco and other machine builders often use Fanuc parts in there builds without a Fanuc "Control".

Yes it will.
    You have to get the input voltage right to start. Usualy there is a transformer on the floor of the cabinet on Fanucs that is a multi-tap. It will also have the output voltage required printed on it.
    The drive will control the motor w/a single pulse or 0 to 10 vdc.
    The only feedback to the drive is the tachometer. So the drive knows that the motor has moved.
    The encoder then will feed your read out in the NC.
    So yes you can control it with your computer like a stepper motor.
    Cant see pix too well but lookin at the screws on the bottom looks like 3 inputs, 3 output, 2 were the 0 to 10 + and -. OR! The tach. And the Speed control went somewhere else. Didnt see where the tach feed back goes.
    You do know that is all 3 phase stuff?
    Have fun... Jim

Quote Originally Posted by EDM_Fixer View Post
    The only feedback to the drive is the tachometer. So the drive knows that the motor has moved.
    The encoder then will feed your read out in the NC.
    I have never seen a Fanuc Red cap AC servo with a tach, the feedback is usually an encoder and the 4 bit proprietary commutation pulses?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The title say's digital, it will not work, no +-10v. Tach is build into the pulse coder. 100a 100b will be 100v for the e/stp. I have a complete 5 axis Fanuc omc control for sale, I did sell 2 drives and motors so now it's a 3 axis complete, capable of 5 axis.
    ray.

the 20S servo was the only motor that ran on both the old 185 and newer(still old now) 220 volt drives...pop the red cap off, if its a 2000/2500/3000p encoder and not a alpha, or anything 'i' series, its straight quadrature with commutation built in- if so, you could find a set of 6050-h004 drives(analog input) and on those drives the encoders loop thru the drives- commutation signals stop at the drive, they can run on anything. If you do go looking for 6050s, be sure the top boards end in 'E' or 'F', the others were junk- the 'c' or earlier, or 'R00' dont support the 3-7 jumper to reverse commutation direction- could be a big deal depending on which end of the screw the motors mount

if youve got serial encoders, forget it...I think Delta-Tau offered a controller capable of commutation/pwm out to drive 6057/6058 amps, but NOT if they have serial encoders...find a cheap old scrap S380 RC robot, it will have 6050s with quadrature encoders, but unless late model, might have the crap R00 top boards...they work, but gain matching is poor- fine for playing around, or drilling, but interpolation accuracy will be sloppy. Ive tried to decipher the serial encoder stuff, its tough- encoder resolution changes with RPM, think it was odd, like 77 bits at 100k baud...fanuc only there.
    BTW- the old 6050 drives can run on single phase power, put >170 volts into the power terminals (A,1,2 normally- but jump 1-2 together and feed A,1 it fools the phase detection). I made up a jogbox that plugs into 110 to fold up the old 380 robots we had in storage- have to use the encoder(f/v converter built into 6050 plus commutation) and just a pot/battery to give a low speed reference- we had a new elevator installed, and the robots wouldnt fit, had to find a easy way to fold them up...sadly we scrapped all of them