584,826 active members*
5,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Source File ?

I have bought turbocnc4 and downloaded the source.zip file

What do I do with it ? may sound stupid but normally you just enter a serial code when you buy a registered version, is this another program and do I remove the shareware version ??

The source, IS the same program, only uncompiled. It's the human readable version that you can modify if you so wish, then recompile for the computer. (Machine code)

Regards Terry.....

Turbocnc "demo" is not crippled in any way! What you have done, is acknowledged that this is a good program (helps continue developement) and as a bonus, you get the source code (the instructions of HOW the program is developed)!!!
    Could you imagine Billy Bob Gates "giving" you the source code to windows when you register it????
    TurboCnc is programed in Pascal 7 (V4) [NOT Turbo Pascal] and this allows you to make modifications to the program to do what YOU want it to do. For instance, I have modified the program to allow a single axis homing under G-code using G-28.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I thought that was too obvious to be true !

Really suprised at Dak letting people have access to that, I am sure someone could change it and sell it themselves.

I supose as you say it allows users to customise it after they figure out like me how to use it !!!

You need to join the yohoo group and there is a lot of information (including what you need to do to set up Pascal) on how to do this.

Pascal is not a hard language to use (very simular to basic) and if you look at the .pas files, you can figure it out. I ain't particulary smart, but I figured it out:})
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by xairflyer
    I thought that was too obvious to be true !

Really suprised at Dak letting people have access to that, I am sure someone could change it and sell it themselves.

I supose as you say it allows users to customise it after they figure out like me how to use it !!!
    Having someone re-sell our stuff has always been a concern.

Regular piracy is easy enough to deal with - no keys and free downloads means nothing to steal. As for re-selling a new compile, I figure that the CNC community is close-knit enough to ostracize any vendor/individual who would do this, as has been done with the geckodrive pirate.

Have fun with the source code...

In addition to allowing users to customize, it is also a warranty against obsolesence.
    If for any reason DakEng should decide not to continue supporting the program there are many individuals capable of doing this, and they have the source needed to do it.
    It also is a way of bringing a better quality to a low budget program. Now there are lots of people looking at the source, some probably with better knowledge on intricate details than the original developer. So the chance of catching those bugs increase. It's like having a large workforce of designers/programmers working without the burden of their paychecks.
    I registered it even if I don't yet know if it will do all I need because the source enables me to better evaluate if it will. And because at that price I feel that I got a lot for my money even if I finally ends up using another program, I have helped encourage further support and enhancements. Maybe then I will use it in my next project.

And should anyone be tempted to sell it as their own, I'm sure open forums like this one will help choke their "business".

curios Guest

Where to find source code?

Solved