584,812 active members*
5,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Modular Tooling from Tormach

Tormach Unveils New Modular Insert Tooling Line

The interchangeable carbide insert system uses the popular TTS geometry for affordable quick change tooling.

Waunakee, WI, July 15, 2009 – Tormach, LLC, makers of the PCNC 1100 personal CNC mill, has just released its new line of Modular Insert Tooling. The complete line offers the versatility of 24 different cutting tool combinations, using 5 unique cutting head geometries in multiple sizes and tool lengths.

The system uses replaceable carbide inserts with modern cutting geometries for affordable top-line performance. Geometries are available for face milling, end milling, center-cutting endmilling, ball end milling, and toroidal end milling.

Cutter mounts are available in 3 lengths for versatile cutting reach. Each mount uses the Tormach Tooling System (TTS) geometry for quick, repeatable tool offset referencing for R8 or MT3 spindles or other systems that can grasp a ¾” shaft.

“Our modular insert tooling system is an exciting addition to the TTS line,” explained Tormach president Greg Jackson. “Modular tooling is in wide use in today’s large professional machine shops, but the benefits of a modular system – namely flexibility and low operating cost- haven’t been readily available to the small shops and hobbyists that are our customers. We wanted to change that.”

Following the initial launch, Jackson expects future additions to the new product line. Tormach’s other TTS tools already include a full line of tool holders for solid tooling, reversing and tension/compression tapping heads, boring bars, and a digitizing probe.

About Tormach

The people at Tormach are dedicated to delivering tools, accessories, and components of unprecedented value in the world of CNC and motion control. Whether you are involved in R&D, education, short-run production, or simply entrepreneurs with new ideas, Tormach products allow you to make what you need easier, quicker, and more affordable.

Tormach is headquartered in Waunakee, Wisconsin. For more information about personal CNC mills and accessories, please visit www.tormach.com or contact Tormach directly at [email protected]

For more information, visit http://www.tormach.com/Product_TTS_insert2.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails face_mill_38mm_large.jpg  

Wow.... great addition.

Good work Tormach!

Will you be supplying recommended maximum speeds, feeds and cut depths for steel?

While impressed by the range and styles you now offer I do worrry about the TTS ability to stay put on your larger cutters cutting steel. I think you warned of the limits of TTS somewhere - and that 1/2" was about the limit for rough maching steel?

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Good work Tormach!

Will you be supplying recommended maximum speeds, feeds and cut depths for steel?

While impressed by the range and styles you now offer I do worrry about the TTS ability to stay put on your larger cutters cutting steel. I think you warned of the limits of TTS somewhere - and that 1/2" was about the limit for rough maching steel?
    I also see that small run guys, have a lot less reason to spend $150 on a single tool. Sure... you can make a very good argument for using that type of tooling in a production environment, but it is hard-sell when your needs are for a couple parts here, a couple parts there (Tormach target market). If I need >50-100 pieces of something, I'm outsourcing it to another shop anyway.

I'm also a newb and the thought of crashing $150 tools gives me a gut-ache.

A variety of shell arbors would be nice. 3/4", 16 and 22mm arbors in particular would be handy. In the works?

Thanks for the interest, guys.

We plan to add to the line as time goes by, and we'll definitely be listening to customers for suggestions. Let us know what you'd like to see at [email protected].

Andy Grevstad
    Applications Engineer
    Tormach