584,863 active members*
4,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Denford Orac Conversion to MACH3

Denford Orac Conversion to MACH3

I just aquired a Denford Orac lathe, and it seems to have a bad controller. I think id rather convert it to full MACH3 control. I have ready most of the threads i could find on other peoples experiance doing this, and they all seem to have used Gecko drives and a breakout board like the ones sold at cnc4pc.com This seems to be an expensive route. I was wondering if the controller sold at www.hobbycnc.com would work in this application.

I am also quite confused on how to setup the spindle drive motor to work with MACH3. I know i will need a DVM, but i dont know much about them.

Any help would be great.

Thanx

Adam

Adam

If you want to use the Orac stepper motors they run at 70V dc so your drivers need to match.
    You say the parts are expencive I don't know how much you paid for the Orac but a set of new electronics THAT WORK will set you back 700-800 usd, as long as you paid sensable money to buy the lathe, when you add up to get bottom line, were else can you get a real CNC lathe ( not a conversion) for that price.

Mike

That is very true, i just looked and that board can only handle 36v

Can you give me a a sugestion on what VFD to use? I know it needs to have an output of 380v and 3 phase, but thats all i know, anyone?

adam

I used a Mittsubushi VFD the smallest in there range, ebay is a good source or just google for your local motor control dealer.

Mike