585,744 active members*
5,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy HYPERTHERM 1650 PROBLEMS

I bought a 1650 (brand new)3 weeks ago,and was using it today(8th or 9th cut I have made with it)and black smoke came out off the handle.Though maybe it was from what I was cutting,1" square tubing.So I made another cut while looking at handle and more black smoke and the torch quit cutting.I took apart the torch and the cap off switch (part#128639)was melted bad on one side, closest to outside,and the inside peice was broke lose.Is this commen,did I do it some how,or bad from factory? Pulled switch out and hung it out the bottom of gun and the torch works fine now,but I dont want to use it like that.Its not my first time to use a plasma cutter,I hade a miller 650 for about 6years with no problems. Thanks for any help!

I suspect there is some sort of manufacturing defect within the torch assembly....assuming you purchased the unit from a dealer....you can go back and get them to replace the whole torch assembly under warranty....if you purchased it via internet...you should go back to the internet company that sold it to you for warranty coverage....this often is a little more time consuming.

You can contact Hypertherm tech service for advice....have your machine serial number handy. Here is the contact info:

Technical Service
    [email protected]
    800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA
    and Canada Customer Service
    [email protected]
    800-737-2978 Tel - Toll Free in USA
    and Canada

Return Materials
    [email protected]
    866-643-7711 Tel - Toll Free in USA and Canada

Best regards....sorry for the issue. I will forward your post to Hypertherm tech service.

Jim Colt

RCfabrication,

I am sorry to hear of your 1650 issues. It is a great machine and it cuts amazing, so I hate to hear it when an unfortunate issue occurs.
    It sounds to me like you have a defect in your torch.

Could you please send me some pictures if possible to [email protected]
    Also, include the serial number of the machine.
    Pics of the material you are cutting and also pics of the torch and leads you have found to be a suspect to defect would be very very helpful.
    Also, is it safe to assume you were using compressed air for your gas supply?