585,875 active members*
3,998 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mach3 vs DSP

Mach3 vs DSP

Hi,

Has anyone gotten mach3/gecko drives installed in their machines versus the dsp? Or does anyone have any comparisons of the two options? Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul, I am aware of forum member " jubee " converting his 600 x 900 Excitech to Mach3 operating system. From memory - it was late last year, and he seemed very happy with the conversion. Maybe send him a pm or search back through this thread for details.

Another place to ask this question could be in the Camaster thread, as the Camaster blokes used to Import similar machines and convert them.

Rocket.

I've just received an Exitech SHM0609. Having used Mach3 for a while, the DSP is a toy in comparison. Too limiting and will only go so far. I've already decided to convert the machine to Mach3. I designed my previous controller and going to design an interface for this one. Mach3 is considerably better, at the cost of adding a PC to the equation.

Thanks. That give me more perspective, I was already thinking mach3 was the way to go.

But has anyone actually received an excitech machine with mach3 installed?

Quote Originally Posted by kimoyo View Post
    Thanks. That give me more perspective, I was already thinking mach3 was the way to go.

But has anyone actually received an excitech machine with mach3 installed?

We make many Mach3 contoller with the 6090 machine in China
    It is running better.
    http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCmachines6090.html

Another Excitech in action

Eclipze, Great to see that your machine has arrived.

Are you going to post a review and some photos?

Rocket.

rocket67... I certainly will. Business is just too busy at the moment to play with the new toy. But I'II get there.

Hi guys,

I am in the process of getting SHG0609 with Mach3 from Exictech and simply waiting on their door to door shipping quote.
    I was told by Jerry who is a sales rep that there is no conversion required. You can simply choose when you order whether you want to have it with DSP or Mach3.

The same can be also found in this model spec at http://www.sh-router.com/6096s.asp

"17 Operating System DSP System (Option:Mach3 PC Software) "

So I am not really sure if their sales rep was wrong or somebody else when they mention about some conversion required to be done by a buyer.

cheers,

Mike

I have just read my conversation with Jerry again and it seems I have missed some point in what he said
    "No need to convert. Now the DSP system and Mach3 are both available.
    For the Mach3, it has a card needs to be pluged into the electronics box
    Therefore, the electronics box for mach3 and dsp is different"

If I got it right from the second reading it means that SGH0609 model suplied ready for Mach3 but you will need to add something to it to get it running under Mach3. I am guesing that it means a Mach3 control box and some card(board) must be added to electronics box by a buyer and they are not supplied.

I am new to CNC Routers can somebody confirms this.
    I will ask Jerry to explain this too.

Replacing the interface card would certainly enable conversion to Mach3 control. But I'm also wondering if the existing card would work with the parallel port, given the right adaptor cable. If so, it may just be the right cable. Would be quite convenient if it is, and I've asked Jerry. If not, I'II just make my own interface board.

It seems I got it right for the first time :-) SHG0609 and I guess all other Excitech models too can be supplied completelly ready for MACH3 control. You just need to buy and install MACH3 software on your PC.

Here is what Jerry has just replied to me. I asked if I need to buy Mash3 card and control box myself.

"The card is MACH3 card. You don't need to plug card by yourself. We will finish all of these works. "

"The Mach3 system we supplied has already includes the software and all the hardware including card and cables. You don't need to buy otherthing else. You can also buy Mach3 system locally so that we can supply the complete machine just without Mach3 control.
    If we supply mach3, the card and cable are both settles. You can only settle the Mach3 in your PC.That's OK"

I have just ordered and paid for SHG0609. Once I get it I will be able to tell whether it comes Mach3 ready or not :-)

Ok... I have confirmation with Jerry. If you order with DSP, then you get the DSP and DSP control interface board. If you order with Mach3, then you get a different control interface board. So if you wanted to convert an existing DSP setup to run from Mach3, the simple solution is to contact them to obtain the Mach3 interface card.

I'm still going to design my own card... just can't help but add the extra features like my other CNC :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelinginc View Post
    We make many Mach3 contoller with the 6090 machine in China
    It is running better.
    Page Title
    Hi,

I have a Quick Jinan ATC (8 Tools) 1325. All Motors are Servos / 4-axis.
    Now I am thinking about changing the DSP to Mach3 to be able to use all 4 axis simualtanously - at the moment I have to switch 1 axis / to plug the c-axis.
    Do you have a "ready to go" solution for me to change to mach3?
    When I understood right I would need the board and perhaps another board to control the spindle speed via G-Code?

Hope anybody could help me

best

kai