585,758 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

IGF M08 placement

I've been working with Okuma lathes for a few years in two different shops, and nobody I've worked with has come up with a better way of fixing the M08 placement than hand editing. Currently I'm working with a Crown 1420L w/ the OSP-U100L control, and programming it with IGF right on the control. Is there anyway to get IGF to spit out my M08's after the approach move instead of at the tool indexing location?

I do mostly one-off and short run (5-10 pcs.) work, and I'm tired of editing every program by hand.

This will only be possible if you have ADMAC parts to edit your IGF post

there is parameter on IGF, You can set it to have M08 code inserted.
    there is possibility to save "block" of IGF program and to use this block wherever You need in IGF part program. This is a bit less buttons than to go "isert NC text".

Thanks for the responses. I can't seem to find any options in the parameters tab of the IGF screen that have anything to do with coolant (except for the bar puller option) and I don't have access to ADMAC, so I guess I'm stuck. I've grown to like IGF, but we've got MasterCAM lathe here at the shop so I might have to go that way for a solution.

Sure, there is such a parameter. Ask Your local representative for assistance. You need to indicate version of Your IGF exactly, because these are not equal.
    Suppose, you can check coolant on on every process edit dialog also. Somewhere next to rotation direction and chip thickness

Your IGF file does not dictate where the actual placement of the coolant command, it is only a switch ( turn ON, turn OFF )

( a long time ago )
    Depending on the version, you may have some sort of access to the "post", some may require you to have disks reloaded to ammend that post in the machine, ours is set to output after taking up the tool length comp ( mills ) , lathes would probably be after the toolchange and 1st approach point to the operation.

It would be best to read through the IGF manuals to really discover if it can be done, and if so, how to do it.

IGF inserts M08 command automaticaly, that's 100% sure
    it is only a switch ( turn ON, turn OFF )
    the cooland presurre is applied to turret piston sealant X-rings at tool change in that case.
    Normally, when coolant flows through, the pressure in the piston isn't high. Coolant can leak into hydraulic system when hydraulics is activated (turret indexing) and full coolant pressure applied to turret piston.
    So, it is much better to switch off coolant for T command as IGF normally does.

Hey Al, are you on something???

Do you know what a "post" is ? ( short for post processor )

the cooland presurre is applied to turret piston sealant X-rings at tool change in that case.
    Normally, when coolant flows through, the pressure in the piston isn't high. Coolant can leak into hydraulic system when hydraulics is activated (turret indexing) and full coolant pressure applied to turret piston.
    So, it is much better to switch off coolant for T command as IGF normally does.
    what the hell does this dribble have to do with the topic ??

what the hell does this dribble have to do with the topic
    Coolant leaks into hydraulic system if You will keep coolant always on

IGF does have a parameter to stop "repetitive" M08's but not the placement. Okuma does it after tool change to prevent dry cutting. It takes a second or so to get a good flow, so your tool could be cutting and then receive the burst of coolant to your hot insert which could cause fracturing. That is why it is after the index instead of at the approach point.

I've not seen the hydraulic contamination myself, but it is easier on the rotary seals if it is off when indexing - especially if high pressure coolant is used. Okuma offers an option on the newer machines to deal with high pressure systems (over 500PSI) which can blow out turret seals during indexing. The system ensures that coolant can not be on during indexing and can even disable it on a per tool station basis.

Bet your salesman doesn't even know that! ;-)