585,744 active members*
4,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Explorer stops suddenly

Our Bridgeport Explorer has been running OK since October. The last few days it has developed a problem where it will stop with the drives shut off. If reset is pressed (on BMDC) D2 and D1 are lit then go off after a few seconds, D3 will blink once, then D1,2,3 are all dark, and nothing happens.

After several attempts at reset the "incompatible software message" will show up on the screen.

If I reset Ldmdcsw by hitting F9, usually BMDC fails to start. If it does, the system will run for a few hours before shutting off. Also, one time I happened to notice that it worked normally while jogging "slow", but "fast" it would shut down.

Any suggestions as to where I should start checking?

Thank you, John

1) turn machine off, remove BMDC, clean edge connector with a soft eraser, reinsert in same or different ISA slot.
    2) check logic power supply. Red to black is 5 VDC. Yellow to black is 12 VDC. Make sure fan is running.
    If DOS literate, check CMOS for correct setting especially mass storage device, and do a scan disk and defrag.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you, George,

1. I did the cleanup routine on BMDC, surprising how much brighter after scrub with eraser.
    2 Logic power voltages all OK., fan works, new Ford filters installed.
    3. Although CMOS setup appears OK problem is likely related to the PC, or DOS since when starting with F9 pressed there were two problems;

First, "Missing or corrupt C:\windows\himem.sys, error in config.sys, line 4"
    Second "Bad or missing C:\windows\ifshlp"

After running MEMMAKER the first message went away, second is still there, system never finishes executive load then goes to DOS.

Thanks,

John

How old is your hard drive? If the CMOS settings for it are good, it may need a viking funeral. BUT FIRST:
    Since you are in DOS, do a CD/DOS to get to DOS folder.
    Type in SCANDISK and enter.
    See if it finds any problems. If so you may need a hard drive (Get a DOM instead), or you may need to nuke it, reload DOS, and reload your machine software.
    Do not forget to make a copy of BMDCPRMS.SYS to a floppy. These are your machine parameters.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I decided to buy the new board, back plane and DOM. Just finished installing new set up and although it "works" the action stops at "machine check.. executive load .. wait \C:\> ".

As before, If reset is pressed D2 and D1 (on BMDC) are lit then go off after a few seconds, D3 will blink once, then D1,2,3 are all dark, and nothing happens. On AUF D11 is on continuous, D12 blinks.

Appreciate advice as to what to try next?
    John

In DOS try and find B3T.exe.
    Run it and see if the BMDC is loading.
    I do not think so.

George

George,

I have not been able to find B3T.exe on the DOM or in any of the files copied off the old hard drive, or in the download versions (from the Yahoo forum).

Where can I get it?

Thanks for your help.
    John

Can anyone suggest a method for determining why the BMDC does not load?

The maintenance manual is very thin on this subject.

Thank you.

John