584,837 active members*
5,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Picstep DRAGON custom w/PMinMO BOB
Page 2 of 3 123
    DOH!! I placed the -V on ground wrong from the power supply. Ok power is working and when I step the motor clicks but does not move correctly. So It's trying. That's a good sign!
    NEVER play with power when you had a few too many. You do stupid things.:withstupi

So I am taking a break. This thing is going to need serious debugging. I need to check the LPT pins and output and do a crash course in Mach3. I also have KCAM 4 trial. That seems much simpler to start with.
    I still know I am doing something wrong here. I wish I could post on PMinMO but his system will not allow hotmail accounts I guess. I have some questions for him on the 5vcd lines.

------------------

EDIT: Ok I got it working. It seems that the PicSTEP hex file WITH TIMEOUT was the issue. I re-flashed with NO TIME out and got a good response. Then once I sobered up I realized that the PICSTEP uses an active low setup. I had the enable pin 14 set to active hi. Once I changed that I got MOVEMENT!! Yeah!

I also went back and wired my 8 wire motor in bipolar parallel and tweeked the power supply to get a VERY clean 36vdc.

I think I'm going to need something to reduce the spike this power supply gives when turning on. It's not bad but the data sheet shows it can really kick. I also need to get some heat sinks on the LMDs fast. Those baby's get hot. BTW I used 6k resistors on the PICSTEP to allow up to 3 AMPS.

-v3gaS-

I think I'm going to stop here for now. I may post again when all complete. I have a few more ideas I'm working on.

Thanks for the nice comments above. I hope this may give some others some cool ideas. If someone does something like this I would love to see how yours turned out. Please post a pic.

~v3gaS~(nuts)

I just got all three PICSTEPS working perfect. I must say they do run nice.
    I am tackling one last issue. HEAT from the LMD's. I placed some ALUM heat sinks on them but they still get hot. I am throwing together a DIY 12v PC fan board in the next day.

Pictures & video to follow soon.

Does anyone want to see anything specific??

JohnnyVegas,

Some video of your machine running would be kewl.

Nice work so far.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

nice lol

Test Video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7-odu1TppQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7-odu1TppQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(nuts)

Direct LINK:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7-odu1TppQ

I would post info on the PC FAN board I tossed together but there is one small bug with the LED's that's driving me crazy. The board is the cheapest I can put together. Under $10 and works great. Left it run for 6 hours. It has pins to add ON/OFF and POTS to control the individual fans etc. I could keep "futzing" with it but it works and that's all that matters for now.

~v3gaS~

Cheap 12v Fan controller PCB

Here is a very cheap and basic fan controller. Can control up to (4) 12 v fans totaling 1amp. Has a 2 pin header to allow for ON/OFF external switch. If not used, jump (PINs).

This is made with easily available parts at any store.

If you are pushing in >= 1A you should use a heat-sink on the IC. You really should use a heat sink regardless. They are $0.99.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheap_12v_Fan_Controller_RockstarCNC.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	87601
    Attached Files Attached Files

Another video testing PICSTEP dragon with micro g-code

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JP9Dp2ZIa8c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JP9Dp2ZIa8c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(wedge)
    ~v3gaS~

Ok. I got more pictures up at the new site:
    http://www.RockstarCNC.com
    It's a start. This thread will continue to be the main tutorial for now.

Has anyone tried the PIC programmers out there???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    Here is a very cheap and basic fan controller. Can control up to (4) 12 v fans totaling 1amp. Has a 2 pin header to allow for ON/OFF external switch. If not used, jump (PINs).

This is made with easily available parts at any store.

If you are pushing in >= 1A you should use a heat-sink on the IC. You really should use a heat sink regardless. They are $0.99.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheap_12v_Fan_Controller_RockstarCNC.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	87601

Or just use a L78S12CV instead it's a 2A 12V regulator IC.

What kind of fans does this circuit control ? BLDC ?
    I suppose it's different from the CPU fan that usually comes with three wires, do the fans you're using have brushes or not ?

Thanks !
    cnc2.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2 View Post

What knid of fans does this circuit control ? BLDC ?
    I suppose it's different from the CPU fan that usually comes with three wires, do the fans you're using have brushes or not ?

Thanks !
    cnc2.
    Any standard PC/CPU fan will do. Just use the Red/Black combo on the 3 wire PC fan. RED is 12v and YELLOW is 5v. BLACK is ground.

You sure make some nice looking pcbs!
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    You sure make some nice looking pcbs!
    Thanks PMinMO. You design some nice boards. Love it.

Correction on a standard PC 3/wire case fan.
    RED=12v
    Black=Ground
    Yellow=RPM sensor

Just use the RED and BLACK and leave the YELLOW dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    Thanks PMinMO. You design some nice boards. Love it.

Correction on a standard PC 3/wire case fan.
    RED=12v
    Black=Ground
    Yellow=RPM sensor

Just use the RED and BLACK and leave the YELLOW dead.
    That's really cool it'll run for years 100% uptime

Thanks !
    cnc2.

Yup. It should. I have been working on a much more advanced fan controller using the same principle but with a lot more features The plan is to have something that will work "physically" with the PMinMO design. This should allow for full control of the entire fan system.

I started my new blog at http://www.digitalPimple.com

When it's complete {blog} I will be posting here and on the blog also. The blog will contain much more indepth details on the steps etc... at least I think it will.

I'm still working on the blog site but it functions great. If someone would be so kind as to log in/register and post a comment somewhere that would be great. I want to ensure it functions on the outside world well.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2 View Post

Thanks !
    cnc2.
    A lot of times the problem with 3 pin linear Vregs isn't total amperage, it's power dissipation.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    A lot of times the problem with 3 pin linear Vregs isn't total amperage, it's power dissipation.
    Haha I was going to change that a few weeks ago! PMinMO good eye!:wee:

Nice work!

Hey there, I'm very flattered you've made my driver with such flare and still left my name on your artwork. Your set up so far looks awesome! Much better than my original mark I drivers I still use anyhow.

Keep up the good work mate!

-Alan.

P.S. I have a double sided SMD version of PICStep I never released if anyone is interested. It's a lot smaller, but much much harder to produce at home without going to a PCB house. Basically exactly the same however.

BOM picstep purchase list

Here is a BOM file I found for this project (digikey). Hope it may help someone. I would SuGGEST checking each part to be sure. 2 Parts are crossed out, I purchased them by mistake. The correction is included.
    This list does not include the 6 LMD's. I purchased them off a seller on ebay for a 1/4 of the price. New.

There may be other things like ribbon cable and things not on this list.

pimple
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picstep BOM.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 123