584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fanuc 18oi

Unhappy Fanuc 18oi

I am trying to use G10 to load tool offset data from my programs, but I get a010-improper G-code error. I understand that this means this G-code isn't actually available on the controller. Is there a way to program my own G10 to do the job?

The code is as follows:

G10L11PXXRXX.XXXX

its a feature that the machine didnt have installed because it wasnt ordered...

Fanuc 18oi

If I can't use the G10 code it should still be possible to access the offsets by way of the system variables, but I can't seem to get that to work either. How do I find out what type memory I have (A,B, or C)? And what do I have to do to access it?

Quote Originally Posted by cdhastie View Post
    If I can't use the G10 code it should still be possible to access the offsets by way of the system variables, but I can't seem to get that to work either. How do I find out what type memory I have (A,B, or C)? And what do I have to do to access it?
    You need "Macro". What kind of machine do you have? if you have a system 18, you probally should have macro. Check screen if you could find any button named "macro" or "var" for variables under the setting pages.
    If you have macro, you can probably write to tool offset.

If you do not have the G10 function but you have macroB you should be able to write to these exactly how you were suggesting. I have attached what I believe is your tool offset variables. Check your programming manual under the “custom macro-system variables” section.

I believe it to be either #2001 or the 10001. Let’s say it is the #2000 range. #2001 is for tool 1, #2002 is for tool 2 etc. Once you find the variables you can do a quick check by setting these to another variable. You can go MDI #1=#2001. This should set #1 to whatever data is in tool 1 offset page. Do not hit reset as most local variables(#1-#33) will clear at rest. This will also tell you if you have the macroB option installed on your machine.

Once you have found the variables used it is just a matter of programming this in the program. You don’t have to hardcode this. You can use variables to change the offset based on the current tool in the spindle. Lets say you set up a variable to track the tool in the spindle. Now you can code the change in the offset based on that. So you have T5 in the spindle and you use #20 to track the tool in the spindle. So #20 should equal 5. Now program #[2000+#20]=5—or whatever you want to change it to.

Stevo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Our System had a meltdown last summer! We had the macro option at that time but didn't use it. After the system was up and running again and now that I need to use it isn't available.

MacroB and G10 are two different options. I don’t know on the 18i’s exactly but if you had that option before then activating it should not be a problem. I would call Fanuc and give them the serial number to your control and they should be able to send you all of your original option parameters for the machine. You should be able to change the macro bit option and reload the parameters. If you get the originals send me those and the current ones in the machine and I will take a look at them.

Have you tired your macro option? Type in MDI #1=1; insert, cycle start. If it does not alarm then you have the macro option turned on.

Stevo

I've tried the MDI #1=1 and it alarms out. Calling fanuc sounds like the way to go so that will the next step. Thanks for the advice.

:idea:Just had a thought! If I have a back up of our original parameters I sjould be able to reload them without a call to fanuc.

Your welcome.

It appears that you don’t have the G10 or Macro option turned on in your control. Please post what Fanuc says as I am curious to see what they have you do if you did indeed have these options installed before.

I have heard rumors that they no longer use the EZopt software when installing options and I would be curious to know if your control will accept them if they were once active and then turned off.

Stevo

You snuck in right before me on that post.

Anyway yes that is what I was alluding to and questioning in my last post. If the options were indeed once active on your control then I would think that you should just be able to reload them with the proper bits activated for what you originally had.

Normally when activating bits this has to be done through the IPL mode and 3 passwords are required. I am not exactly up to date on the i-series control. If you just go change a bit that was not done in this fashion at one time then when you power cycle the machine it will revert back to its original state. If you have an original copy of the option parameters and the ones you have in the machine PM them to me and I will take a look at them and see what you got.

Stevo

Some time back, I got "Dynamic Graphic Display" activated on my 0i Mate TC. They did it by editing some 9000 series parameter, which took just about a minute! They also saved the parameters on a PCMCIA disk, so that it could be reloaded, if ever needed in future.

Out of curiosity, I asked if the same parameter setting would work on other machines also. They said YES, but added that the method of activating options has now been changed. So it will not work on new machines, on which the activation code comes in the form of an encripted file which nobody can understand. I believed them.

Quote Originally Posted by cdhastie View Post
    I am trying to use G10 to load tool offset data from my programs, but I get a010-improper G-code error. I understand that this means this G-code isn't actually available on the controller. Is there a way to program my own G10 to do the job?

The code is as follows:

G10L11PXXRXX.XXXX
    Do you still have the EZopt instalation file? I need it right now. If you still save the file, please email me at [email protected].

Bagas