585,938 active members*
3,274 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DNC an old BPT BOSS

I have been asked how to get around the limited memory of the old stepping motor BOSS machines. I knew that BPT made a DNC loader that attached to the tape reader port but have not seen one of these in 20 years. The answer is to Google "behind tape reader" and you get a list of choices to go with including DNC aka "drip feed." Good luck.

George W.

The only thing I know is the maker (Greco Systems). www.grecosystems.com
    It will allow you to interface through the old tape drive set up. I do not know whether the old machines can take advantage of the drip feed capability?

mc_n_g

Some older models of Boss controls can not DNC (drip feed). They have limited memory and that is about it. Later series can DNC with a BTR or by breaking up the part program on the fly.

What model of the BOSS do you have? How are you currently loading? I might have some documentation I can look up at the office once I have the details...
    Greg Mercurio
    Shop Floor Automations, Inc.
    www.shopfloorautomations.com
    (619) 461-4000 Tel

I have an old dnc loader from bridgeport with a manual but it does not work. I would not mind getting it fixed if I knew where to take it. Pat

OK here is a crazy question. Many older computers have a limited amount of memory they can address but in some cases this can be worked around. For example I once had an Apple IIe with a RamWorks card running 16MB, the standard comp came with 64K and the Extended 80 column card allowed another 64K for 128 total. The RamWorks card plugged in place of the 80 column card and allowed the greater memory. I'm wondering if these machines can address a greater amount of memory if there was just a way to install it. My deal is simple, I bought a standalone controller for my machine that needs only a powersupply and to be wired in to function, it will make the machine do a much better job than it does now but it will also require a lot of work and time to install. As of now I'm making the parts I need to make and I cannot justify an upgrade but a little more memory would sure speed things up.

The memory on the old BOSS machines is on the LSI-11 board. There were 3 versions. There was a 4 LSI (large scale integration) ICs on it. Used on the BOSS 3 and 4. The 5 LSI version was used on the BOSS 5 and 6. There was a half size version used on the BTC-1 AKA BOSS7. All these were made by DEC (digital equipment corporation) and were called the KD-11F and KD-11L for the 5 LSI. I do not remember their designatiom on the 1/2 size. I will look up some data I have on this board but a good EE would have to figure out how to expand the memory assuming it can be. then are these antique memory ICs still available. Two examples. I had an old ATARI 400 to which I soldered a piggy back board that expanded my RAM to 8K. It also had a modem and floppy attached to it but back then (1980) there were only BBS (bulletin board service) on line. My TRS80 Model 100 came with 8 K of RAM available to me. I purchsed ICs that expanded that to the full 32K. This is toward the tail end of the stepping motor BOSS sale span so I believe that these mother boards will suffer the same limitations. In other words, how far will that get you with a large program? Is if even worth trying to figure out. A complete replacement of the logic section is the only viable alternative. It is also getting to the point that it is not cost effective to buy replacement boards for these machines. I am not familiar with the BTR devices now available, but if I had a paid for BOSS machine it would be tempting to try. Especially since some claim DNC capability. It is a way around the limited memory.

George

I have interfaced more Bridgeport controls that I can count. Grecco, Rybett, ADR and Cimnet all have Behind the tape reader interfaces that can dripfeed long files.
    The Rybett part number for this interface is I002, H012-1 for a Remex RRS7300 tape reader or I002, H006-02 for the Remex RRS1150 reader. I have been installing and selling BTRs since 1979. I have about 4 of the Rybett I002 and both H0012-1, H006-02
    in house. The ADR and Cimnet BTRs are a straight plugin for the Remex 7300 and asimlpe adapter for the Remex 1150.
    William Timm
    WTC CO

During my search of this forum I found this thread. I am looking into the possibility of getting on old Boss 5 going and was wondering if anyone found out more info about DNC to the Boss 5?

Jim

BOSS 5 will only DNC (drip feed) with the option DNC loader or with a more modern BTR (behind tape reader) device. See post by William Timm just above your question.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)