585,781 active members*
4,001 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF-2 stops in the middle of a program!!

VF-2 stops in the middle of a program!!

When I simulate a 3-d part on the VF-2 it stops about 3/4 of the way through
    the program. When it stops it locks up the machine and I have to shut it down to reset it. Anyone have a clue to why it just stops. When I load the program I have 20% memory left. The program is about 25000 lines and it runs to line 18751 approx. but it is the same line every time. The line where it
    stops is just an x y and z move with nothing special.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Do you only have the one program in memory? IOW, could you make some more room by removing some programs to see if that makes a difference?

Other than that, I'm not sure. Does cutter comp happen to be active in the area where the hang occurs? I've had the odd instance where the machine would stop moving during a compensated path, but it is rare.

What version is your Haas software? That might help someone diagnose the problem.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the reply.
    The machine is original to 1990 I believe. I could try and clear all other programs and there is no cutter comp. involved. It is just cutting with a .25 ball nose endmill, standard 3-d moves. Is there any parameters that would stop it from running a set number of lines(just a guess)

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by southernexplore View Post
    program is about 25000 lines and it runs to line 18751 approx. but it is the same line every time. The line where it
    stops is just an x y and z move with nothing special.
    A lot of controls read ahead a certain number of lines, are you sure that the line it stops on is the problem, or one that has just gone into the buffer ??

Going into single step just before the "bad" area and stepping through would fine tune the actual offending code if it exists, as the read ahead function is a bit more restricted.

I will try to step into it and see!
    Thanks
    Tommy

Is there a remote possibility you have a feed rate with no decimal point? Considering this large program was posted and has been running, I doubt it left out a decimal, but it's had me stumped before.

To answer the question on feed rate without a decimal, nothing was missing, it was running a 3-D program that had the same feed rate for approx. 20,000 lines.

I give up on that drawing and g-code post.

I made some changes to the drawing and was able to cut it with no problems.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Tommy