585,758 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Alibre Users Honest Opinions

OK all you Alibre users. We want to hear your honest opinions about Alibre. I have downloaded the demo and done some of the tutorials. Seems pretty powerful, not sure I like some of the user interface. Don't like having to double click a button after returning from another window. Why do I have to tab to the OK button in a dialog box instead of just hitting enter. I've gotten it to crash numerous times. Written in java, does not seem quit as speedy as other CAD software. Don't get me wrong there is alot to like about Alibre besides the price. Its close.... but do you think its ready for prime time?

I've been using it and it the best parametric part modeling software I have ever used, and the instruction videos are great. I find the speed to be very fast even on my labtop, and is way faster than MD 4.0.

Smile I have used Alibre for over two years...

I like Alibre Design... I purchase the Expert package and it is great. I can now communicate to my customers exactly what I am trying to design and build. I build complete machines and sell them and Alibre makes it possible. I have given advice to Alibre and the changes are in the software now. They listen to their customers... The Price is great as well. Also I can save in AutoCad 2000.dwg format and that can be seen by most everybody... so I post my jobs online for bidding and have had great success with it. Go ahead and Spend the $5500 for something else if you want. I haven't spent near that... and in the first 16 hours of use I was able to draw up a whole machine concept. That's what sold me.... before it would have taken me a 40 hour week to do the same thing... and it would have only been a 2D drawing.

I say buy it... you won't be sorry.

I think that Alibre is real nice. I have not been real deep into it yet. But it easy an straight forward to use. Unlike TurboCad I don't regret buying Alibre.

Pretty slick for the money. For all but the most complex modeling this software will fit the bill nicely.
    ARB
    "That Will Be a dollar for the work and a dollar for knowing how" FB

OK I bought it

Bought Alibre Design Professional. Got the video training CD's also. Training videos are excellent. I use two monitors, one displays training video while I practice in Alibre on the other. I pause the training when needed while I practice. Replay as many times as it takes to get it though my "Knot Head" (as Dad would call me when I did something stupid). The more I learn the more impressed I am with Alibre.

Love it...Took 3rd place in the express contest and have the full version now. I think my boss will be buying the next version up soon after I started using it at work. We could use the sheetmetal function that I didn't get with my 3rd place prize.

3rd place = 2nd loser

I use it along with the other software in the shop. Makes a great tool for doing everything from 3D to the 2D prints. I export out step,iges,dxf, and dwg. This makes the software great for all departments.

A couple projects I'm finishin up

I just built these forward controls (middle pic) for a guy on Discovery channel. It was cool to go from a pencil sketch to a 3-D model soooo fast and being able to check clearances on the fly... The other (pic on right) is a picture of a wheel we're building with wood inlays... The other 'thing' (left pic) is some gator heads I made only the real ones have 3-D scales and fully contoured surfaces, they literally look like real aluminum gator heads. I didn't draw all of those other features in the model yet, lol, couldn't figure out how~

I've been able to make some sick wheel designs, crazy-fast, just from artists sketches scanned and sent via email... My customers love seeing their 'wheel' before its cut, saves a lot of time and money... I think Alibre is awesome but then again, it's all I could afford, lol, price and nothing else was my determining factor, so far I think I got lucky...

Nobody wanted to give me $5,000 for a used dirtbike and solid works didn't want to sell me their software for the $1,800 I got for the bike!! (Kinda cut down my options luckily)

Alibre rocks!! I'm not sure about the other software companies but I got 5 seats with that license, I've been giving them to my buddies just for kicks~

Anyone else draw up some really cool stuff and actually build it from the model??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gator.jpg   tribal chrome.jpg   booyah3.jpg  
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Check out what can be done with the free Xpress version. Several of these entries are for actual parts that were made during the contest.

https://www.alibre.com/xpress/forum/...49e40a6ff5a6f2

The down side of Xpress is that the free version you get does have limits like exporting. However for only $99 you can get the export module. This made things easy to draw the parts and export to my CAM software. The different versions are for differnt lvls of use so check them all out before puting out for the $1800 version. I have the $1000 version and I don't have sheetmetal or photo rendering. The standerd render is fine for my work but I could use the sheet metal.

I use Alibre at work and home.

I started with the free package Alibre Design Xpress and used it to make a few sample projects for the R&D firm where I work. I now use it in place of SolidWorks and IDEAS.

Recently, I personally bought the full-blown expert package with a 3 year service agreement and have not looked back.

What really makes it sweet is that I have in Alibre a potent CADCAMCNC for far less than any other BASE package alone. This allows me to personally own the software and keep it fully updated without wallet strain;never a bad thing.

I use it on a TRAK DPM, a HAAS VF-3, and my FlashCutCNC.

The only thing I cannot speak on is Alibre's cut-verification/simulation. For cut verification I still use a package called CutViewer, and I use it because I am familiar with it and like it. As for generating tool paths, Alibre does just fine. It's toolpath generation engine is not fancy, but it is quite adequate.

At home, Alibre is the most impressive hobby setup I have ever owned. (But don't get me wrong: Alibre is not a "toy". I use it for serious work every day and get paid for what I make.)

Oh yeah, Alibre Design Xpress does not self-destruct after a month either. After a month you get to keep, forever, a reduced feature version that works...forever. The free version alone is great for the hobbyist.

I say buy it...and no, I do not work for Alibre. I just like Alibre because it works.

That's it,

scidog

Quote Originally Posted by AMCjeepCJ View Post
    Anyone else draw up some really cool stuff and actually build it from the model??

Not sure what you consider really cool but i did design this in Alibre and then build it. Still needs paint but it worked. There is no way i could afford to purchase Alibre. But i would if i could. I love it.

Video : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2cCYrqq6fU[/ame]

Photo's : http://www.floridaame.org/GalleryPages/g1M0312.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1085.JPG   V8Air4.JPG  

Alibre has fast become a tool we can not do without at Industrial tool Services. Not only has it enabled us to do more but increased our sales volume.

We can now show design in 3D PDF where our sales can present to the customer. Alibre has allowed direct customer feedback and solid machining where we were not capable before.

It is easy to use, with many nice tools. Every year Alibre adds new and improved features. In this past version they added the ability to directly change the solid model from the associated 2D part drawing making the design process even faster. The ability to do tool paths without having a second software makes for some very quick turn arounds on customer parts.

Another tool is the ability to directly edit an imported solid from other software. This allows editing, moving, or removing of existing features in 'dumb solids' making our life much easier since we often get solid files from our customers.

alibre

Tjones,

How would you compare alibre with bobcad?

Joe

There are too many differences to give a full comparison. You may need to be more specific as to what the needs are.

Bobcad is mostly a CAM package with some good CAD abilities. Alibre is a solid modeler with other capabilities.

Bobcad has plenty of CAM abilities While the Alibre CAM is more of a limited version. Of course all these things very based on what level you have of each software as well. You can buy the extra features for each program to add

Alibre is parametric from solid to assemblies to drawings making it a very good designing program. Bobcad is non-parametric in it's drawing UI but has some surfacing tools not available in Alibre. I would not recomend Bobcad for full time design because of not having the ability to make changes easily.

For drawing you cant even compare!!! Alibre will kick it in the ground and keep kicking . i have v21 and v22 Bobcad If your just starting out i would maybe Pick up Alibre and Maybe sheetCam for 2/12 .Or meshcam for 3d ( i wonder if bobcad ever fixed the 2d simple pocket issue i quit useing it after about 5 months of waiting for them to fix it.
    Alibre Sales and tech support are second 2 none training is awsome.<<<<< 2 thumbs up .
    Well Bobcad im not even going to get into it. just snoop around and ask real customers on here what they think .
    ALIBRE is teaming up with Mecsoft. In a couple of months you will see a much better cam package than what they have now .

Im thinking about purchasing vm6.0 basic any comments would be greatly appreciated there sales and tech support seem to be much better than bobcad and i think tech support is free not a yearly fee

I liked it so much, I bought the Professional version even before the Professional features timed out on the Xpress that I downloaded!!! tjones, I blame you for this!

I have BobCad v21 and V22 and I never could draw in either very well. I had used CadKey and KeyCreator previously and that is just the way I learned to draw. Alibre's drawing paradigm is very similar to them except better because it's parametric!

Nothing against BobCad's drawing features, as they have come a long way. I wanted a package where I could draw and do the CAM duties and I had thought that the v22 would be just the ticket. But sooner, rather than later, I started drawing things that were just taking too long to get together.

Also, I was tired of being dongleized. The dongle is bearable if you do all of your work on one machine. But I don't. I like to draw when I'm suffering through a slow time at work. Or on my laptop while traveling. Constantly having to carry around the dongle from machine to machine is tiresome. And when you forget the damn thing and leave it at work, it really gets to you. And then you may accidentally save your drawing in demo mode! Boy, that will get your blood pressure up. So I was going to have to get another dongle or find a drawing program that didn't need one. And while I love the v22's CAM capabilities (especially in the 3D department), getting another seat/dongle just isn't as affordable as it was in prior versions.

So now, I'm happy. Alibre for the CAD and BobCAD for the CAM. And the dongle can now live out it's days in one machine.

Steve

Smurf.....Glad I could help :rainfro:.

That is my stand as well. I have had to do a couple things in Bobcad though that :rainfro:I could not get to work in Alibre. However many Alibre designers team up with Rhino on this end. Those surfacing features are the only thing I could use in Alibre.

However I REALLLLLY like the new push/pull tools in Alibre. Being able to manipulate solids from other sources (including those old Bobcad files when saved as a STP) makes life much easier for me.

Having the ability to make changes to solids from other software has made my life much easier. Before I would have to re-design the entire part if someone wanted a siple change. Now it is easy to do. I would recommend Alibre to any Bobcad user.

Alibre is easy to learn and I really like the training video series just as others have said before this post. But I've had some significant issues with their business policies after a computer crash. I most definitely would not buy from them again. PM for details if you want more insight.

why not just let us know? we would like to know your issues with Alibre after your crash.

That is so weird you say that, I had a similar thing happen to my computer but they were AWESOME!!

CLARIFICATION

I bought a brand new computer and it malfunctioned and died... Nothing to do with Alibre at all... I just had installed alibre and the stupid computer died when I plugged my blackberry phone into it... It had absolutely nothing to do with their software... Sorry for the confusion but my phone support has been absolutely terrific every time I've needed help... Actually they've went way beyond helpful every single time I've contacted them... I'd buy another product from them based solely on their good reputation and my previous experiences in dealing with them...

Page 1 of 5 123