585,942 active members*
3,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345
    Why use a Repository? Honestly I really do not see the point because CD's and Thumb Nail Drives are so Cheap these days. Heck you can buy an 8 GB stick for under $100 from SanDisk, or even a portable hard drive.
    I work in a corporate environment. Everything is kept on a server. The repository is used to allow file versioning, attaching other documents that pertain to the design, etc.

I am a bit picky when it comes to placing proprietary parts on a server. What if your Internet Service went down??? I guess your out of luck then.
    Not an internet server, the repository runs on your own internal server on your own LAN. Internet Service go down? What do you mean? Ours is guaranteed to have 99.9% up-time or something like that. They send us monthly reports and discout our charges for down time. It's usually down not more than a few seconds a month, if that. My brother works at a major data center. Yahoo's server went dark for 3 seconds, and they nearly lost the entire Yahoo account over it. If you need mission-critical internet service, it's available.

Buy a few 2GB USB's and tag them. Easy to store, lock in the safe, or hang around your neck with a cord.

Repositories and Vaults are a good idea, but I prefer to protect my work in a Fire,Water Resistant Safe with back-ups for each one.
    All those are fine if you work alone and your data is not mission critical to a multi-million dollar company. We run onsite backups to hot-swap hard drives for short-term and long-term backup, as well as offsite backups with an encrypted data protection service.

As for your personal issues with Alibre, you like everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I think it is great for Designing Parts, Fixtures, Tooling, and Assemblies. Besides, it is way better than what I was using.
    I'm sure it was. But there are several other products out there that are several times better than Alibre. Changing from Alibre to Solid Edge paid for itself in about 3 months due to the increased productivity.

But the number and frequency of defects they have is a huge problem. Literally every time I used Alibre, I'd find at least one defect to write up, sometimes multiple. Then they would always call because they could not recreate the problem, and want me to send them a snapshot of my repository. I'd say "Uh, it's about 10 GB now." Their answer was "Oh, well that's part of your problem. You should split that up into 4 or 5 smaller repositories." Bear in mind, this is a small company with only about 6 or 8 product lines. If I tried to load the data from a previous job, it would make it completely unuseable. We had hundreds of designs. The total data volume was in the hundreds of gigabytes.

And it does a lot of totally stupid stuff - here's one - it was when I'd first started working for this company - I emailed some dwgs I'd done at home. My boss called and said "Um, where did you learn to dimension drawings?" Me - "Why, what's wrong?" Him - "Well, you have multiple '0' datums on this drawing with ordinate dimensions." Me - "No way, let me open it up."

It was Alibre. It was adding 2 or 3 0 datums at random locations all on it's own which made the drawing useless. And of course, Alibre could never recreate the problem. Their "workaround" was a ridiculous manual process that resulted in dimensions that would no longer update if the part changed. We had to just stop using ordinate dimensioning completely.

Alibre is the best bang for the buck for single parts or very small assemblies, no question about it. Once you start getting into assemblies with 100 or more parts, and your repository grows like ours did (over 8 GB in a few years), it starts getting too slow to work with. Silly stuff, like double-clicking on a dimension to edit it would take 10 seconds. Then another 10 seconds to apply the new dimension. In other systems that's an almost instantaneous change. And Solid Edge does still have defects. But they are much more minor and completely predictable, and the same workaround will work every time. And they also come out with service packs every month or two.

So if you're a one man shop where time really isn't money, or you're just designing single parts for machining or very small assemblies, Alibre is probably all you need. If you are part of an engineering group where a large part of your expenses are payroll for your designers, you will save a lot of money with one of the other programs, even though they are more like $7,000 instead of $1500-$2,000.

AviatorDave,

I imagine that your running a PC that costs more that the software your running, but then again, maybe not.

The problems you are describing sound like more a PC problem than an Alibre Problem.

I have successfully created more than 275 part assemblies with Alibre on a Workstation Class PC without a hitch or glitch. Many of the parts in this assembly have Free Form Surfaces to accommodate fit and polish looks.

Granted, I have had a few problems but fortunately they were small user error design problems that were fixed by initiating a different plan of attack.

I have no idea what your making but like I said before, "everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion".

BTW: Others using Alibre are way better than I am and are making Assemblies that consist of 500 parts or more.

Cheers and good luck with what ever you use for designing.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

ALIBRE IS AWSOME like they say best value in 3d .................................

Quote Originally Posted by dgalaxy View Post
    ALIBRE IS AWSOME like they say best value in 3d .................................
    I agree Alibre is a good Value for the Dollar but what is good for some may not be as good for everyone
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDave View Post
    I work in a corporate environment. Everything is kept on a server.

Then they would always call because they could not recreate the problem, and want me to send them a snapshot of my repository. I'd say "Uh, it's about 10 GB now." Their answer was "Oh, well that's part of your problem. You should split that up into 4 or 5 smaller repositories."

The total data volume was in the hundreds of gigabytes.

It was Alibre. It was adding 2 or 3 0 datums at random locations all on it's own which made the drawing useless. And of course, Alibre could never recreate the problem.

Alibre is the best bang for the buck for single parts or very small assemblies, no question about it. Once you start getting into assemblies with 100 or more parts, and your repository grows like ours did (over 8 GB in a few years), it starts getting too slow to work with.

If you are part of an engineering group where a large part of your expenses are payroll for your designers, you will save a lot of money with one of the other programs, even though they are more like $7,000 instead of $1500-$2,000.

Just one thing to be said from each of these. Upgrade to the latest version.

Every program on the market will have problems. Just go to each ones forum (not a public forum here but the one on their own web sight) to see what the troubles are. You should read those at SW or MC and all the others.

V11 uses the Vault not the repository. V11 is faster than previous version because the went from MS Java to dotnet programming and they no longer use the repositiory. These are mute points because they are all based on older versions.

With that said you will also learn that even the latest Alibre is new compared to the latest version of some other software. Older is not always better but there are reasons those other programs cost 3-5 times more. They have deep pockets and many third party tools just now being added to a newer company like Alibre.

If you need all the bells and wistles then they may be what you need. Just remember that Alibre does offer a free 30 day trial.

I have V11.2 Alibre Pro and I love it.
    Departing from AutoCAD after 20 years, I like designing in 3D with AutoCAD but the redrawing, copying to dimension my part was a killer.
    Alibre is simpler, dimension once, push a couple of keys and bingo! 2D drawing.
    Add check box for dimensioning and your done.

Running AntiVirus scans periodically versus enabling realtime scanning is like having unprotected sex... a shot (periodic scan) may fix the problem, but these days, there are too many examples of STDs (malware) that cannot be eradicated after the fact, when a simple condom (realtime scanner) would have prevented infection in the first place. Tweaking the RT options like turning off network drive scanning and altering detection actions can provide the necessary balance. Just my experience as an IT consultant.

As for AviatorDave's issues, don't be too quick to dismiss his issues as hardware or implementation issues unless you've lived in his shoes. There's a reason SW costs several times what Alibre costs. If Alibre is a good fit for your needs, pocket the difference. If not, be prepared to pony up.

So far my experience moving from SW2005 to Alibre 12 has been positive. My needs as a former toolmaker turned hobbyist are not such that AD's shortcomings will affect me. If my efforts are rewarded with a new career, my investment in AD is not such that I could not walk away from it to upgrade to a more scalable product like SW.

Joe

I really like Alibre CAD but the Alibre CAM add on is a complete rip off. Alibre sells it but it is actually an older version of Mechsoft software. All customer service has to be handled through Mechsoft since it is their product and they have been absolutely terrible to deal with. The result has been that my Alibre CAM has been down for weeks or even a month at a time (every time an upgrade occurs for example) which was killing my business and Mechsoft was zero help. I tried to get Alibre to help leverage them since Alibre cashed my check but that didn't work either. I finally had no choice but to buy another brand CAM to keep parts going out the door. I would recommend Alibre CAD anytime but do not buy the CAM add on.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

Hi Folks

I got sucked in by the offers on V12 last month. I had been using the free version 11 and liked the way it performed for me. Bought the full package and upgraded on the day V12 was released from my download page. However I did not read the release instructions properly - my fault - more haste less speed!

The rtesult was an install that had issues and would hang or go slow when accessing the 'design vault'. Contacted Alibre via the help web and got a tranatlantic phone call a few hours latter from a very helpful chap who talked me through the process. I regard this as first class service as this was in the first 24 hours of the release going public.

I decided that the best bet would be to use Alibre on a dedicated machine and not to share the install with other applications that are not CAD related. This install was trouble free and has been stable for several weeks. I am a single seat operation and have the 'vault' and other repositories on separate virtual drives on the same PC. The PC is kitted out with a RAID controller configured for hot disc swap. The hard disc drives are in pull out draws so that if one goes down - a feature that the raid driver flags but continues to operate Alibre as normal. The faulty disc is removed and replaced with the raid controller rebuilding the new disc which should be of similar size and quality. There are differences in the long term life of hard discs and a simple way of checking is to ask for ones with a five year replacement poicy. Sorry this is turning nto a PC blog so will stop as I am satisfied with Alibre and its add ins for CAM and design checking.

Regards

Pat

V12 is working pretty solid for a few weeks now. The only issue I have had is in an Assembly Design, but minor graphics. (missing surfaces)

So far so good.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Question

I was on the phone talking to the people at MecSoft the other day, and was told, when I asked about VM6 with Alibre, that it was soon for release by them (Alibre)... That's all I know... and it wasn't an offical statment... I asked how soon she thought...and she said most likely for sure before the end of the year.

So...make what you will of it... (rumor or for real??)

Toby, have you heard anything? This the first I've heard from someone inside either Mec or Alibre.

Steve

Salesman at Alibre told me within a few months.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by hercules View Post
    I really like Alibre CAD but the Alibre CAM add on is a complete rip off. Alibre sells it but it is actually an older version of Mechsoft software. All customer service has to be handled through Mechsoft since it is their product and they have been absolutely terrible to deal with. The result has been that my Alibre CAM has been down for weeks or even a month at a time (every time an upgrade occurs for example) which was killing my business and Mechsoft was zero help. I tried to get Alibre to help leverage them since Alibre cashed my check but that didn't work either. I finally had no choice but to buy another brand CAM to keep parts going out the door. I would recommend Alibre CAD anytime but do not buy the CAM add on.
    My understanding is that Mecsoft no longer provides direct-to-user support for AlibreCAM and that you must go to Alibre for support.

Mike

I have been using Alibre for a few years now and love it. I started in 3D without any previous experience and Alibre was very intuitive and simple to use. Their customer support has always been spot on, even when I had noobish questions. Lots of tutorials and free training and a low entry price to boot. I recently purchased V12 Standard and love it.

Their CAM software on the other hand has not impressed me very much. It's basically VisualMill but with less features for the same price. At least it seems that way to me. I've tried every CAM software trial I can get my hands on and while the integration into Alibre is helpful in terms of workflow, I think it's not necessary. When I throw down my grand for CAM software, it won't be Alibre CAM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    My understanding is that Mecsoft no longer provides direct-to-user support for AlibreCAM and that you must go to Alibre for support.

Mike
    Yes user support is now done through Alibre but every time you upgrade, reload or otherwise make changes on your computer you have to get new license codes from Mechsoft for ALibre CAM. Alibre can not provide them. For example when upgrading from Alibre 11 to 12 you need to reload Alibre CAM after loading the new Alibre version. Getting the new codes from Mechsoft has been a nightmare (again) ... 8 weeks now, multiple emails, calls etc and still no codes to unlock the program. User support from Alibre doesn't do you any good if you can't use the product. When you run a manufacturing business you can't have your CAM down for months waiting for Mechsoft to get their act together without significant economic damage.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

Hercules,

Have you brought up your problems on the Alibre forum (the one hosted by Alibre)? Ongoing problems like this should be brought up there to alert other current or potential users.

I'm in the middle of my own nightmare trying to migrate my Alibre 10 files to an Alibre 11.2 upgrade and their new Vault. I've had some problems and neither Alibre tech support (via an incident report) nor the usually helpful folks on the forum have been of any assistance.

I'd be sorely tempted to switch to SolidWorks were it not for the hefty purchase price and the high maintenance. I'm really going to be reluctant to renew Alibre maintenance when it is due next June.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Hercules,

Have you brought up your problems on the Alibre forum (the one hosted by Alibre)? Ongoing problems like this should be brought up there to alert other current or potential users.

I'm in the middle of my own nightmare trying to migrate my Alibre 10 files to an Alibre 11.2 upgrade and their new Vault. I've had some problems and neither Alibre tech support (via an incident report) nor the usually helpful folks on the forum have been of any assistance.

I'd be sorely tempted to switch to SolidWorks were it not for the hefty purchase price and the high maintenance. I'm really going to be reluctant to renew Alibre maintenance when it is due next June.

Mike
    This is why I never used the Vault included in the Professional Package. I could never see putting proprietary assemblies on a server that is not mine. The thought of not being able to retrieve them is unnerving.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Vault data resides either on your local hard drive (in a standalone installation) or on YOUR server. Never leaves your network.

As for licensing from MecSoft, I've licensed/unlicensed and upgraded versions on mutiple machines and never waited more than 12 hours for codes from MecSoft.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by scudzuki View Post

As for licensing from MecSoft, I've licensed/unlicensed and upgraded versions on mutiple machines and never waited more than 12 hours for codes from MecSoft.

Joe
    Well... In the days of lightening fast communication and instant gratification, 12 hours is an eternity! And you seem to be a lucky guy too if you got it that fast.

But the 12 hours aside, consider this...

The AlibreCAM worked on my machine at v1.0 after waiting more than 12 hours for the codes. Then, I upgraded to v1.2 because of an Alibre upgrade. Got new codes, again. It ran for 2 hours and then wanted me to re-register with MecSoft. So I'm thinking "ok, maybe it's just a MecSoft requirement". So I wait for new codes and install them when I get them. Another hour and it stopped working again. Now I'm on the phone with MecSoft. The tell me to call Alibre. I do and get nowhere, as they don't do the licensing. Back to MecSoft. Back to Alibre. I was a freaking ping pong ball! Finally, someone at MecSoft asked if I had a RAID controller on my machine. And I do. Their fix was to remove the RAID controller!

With the v1.2 AlibreCAM, they put some more protection in that keyed off the had drive's serial number. This is a virtual number on a RAID system and it changes! So their protection scheme automatically eliminated anyone with a RAID from using the product.

I can't very well uninstall the RAID, as that's what the OS is using. So I paid for a product that worked for a time and then became totally useless. So now WEEKS have gone by and Alibre persuades MecSoft to provide a fix. MONTHS go by. Then I get a BETA that fixes the problem, supposedly. So I contact MecSoft to get a new set of codes. DAYS went by. Then I get a friendly little message from MecSoft stating that I had exceeded my 2 seat limit for the product! Now I'm stuck trying to explain that the reason I had too many sets of codes was because the product kept asking me to get more. By this time, I'm on the phone with MecSoft and getting nowhere. In frustration, I called Alibre and explained my situation for the billionth time and the support guy said he would take car of it. And he did. A credit to Alibre. I got the quickest set of codes from MecSoft that I have ever had!!!

I installed the new codes and it has worked for me since. But the damage was done. Alibre good. MecSoft bad.

Some other things to keep in mind...

Alibre lets you have 5 installs. But MecSoft only allows 2. So you can't have AlibreCAM on all 5 of your Alibre seats. This is not mentioned ANYWHERE. Except right here. From someone who found out the hard way.

If your computer crashes and you can't "unlicense" the AlibreCAM by contacting MecSoft, then it's your baby. One set of codes down the drain.

I will never upgrade my AlibreCAM to standard or professional. I have no confidence in MecSoft AT ALL. I will never buy their Visual Mill product either. Their support was abysmal.

Alibre is a great product and they have good support. And I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting a good bang for the buck. But I would also caution them to steer very clear of the MecSoft based AlibreCAM.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by smurph View Post
    Some other things to keep in mind...
    Alibre lets you have 5 installs. But MecSoft only allows 2. So you can't have AlibreCAM on all 5 of your Alibre seats. This is not mentioned ANYWHERE. Except right here. From someone who found out the hard way.
    Steve
    Your only aloud 3 Seats now as long as 2 Seats are on PC's without an internet connection.

Check your personal account for this info.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 4 of 5 2345