585,992 active members*
5,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Cutting chamfered edges

Cutting chamfered edges

Hi,

I am trying to cut a 45 degree chamfer on the edge of a small part, and no matter what settings I change, I cannot cut all the way to the bottom of the chamfer.

This is not simply breaking the edge, so I have to use a roughing or profiling pass to cut the chamfer - it will require 2 passes of the cutter to make the full depth. To complicate matters, there is a hole through the 45 degree face (previously cut).

I can use a roughing pass to cut the face close to what's required, but it always leaves a lip at the bottom. The chamfer cycle will only do a single pass. No matter what I set the depth to (or whether it's associative or not) it makes the same cut.

Any ideas?

Have kinda figured it out. This is not as simple as it should be.

I offset the far edge of the stock, and drew geometry to contain the toolpath .25" away from the stock. Then I used a roughing pass with a square endmill on the face, and a profile operation on the chamfer, using the offset line as a containment boundary.

we do alot of 1/4 - 1" beveling on our parts. I usuall just use the chamfer operation, then go to "sequence" and open up that operation. click on "profiling" and edit that. so if i had a .5 break edge on a 1" thick part. i would put my "XY offset" to -.05. under "depth" tab i would set my depth to -.6 to make sure there is no step at the bottom of the chamfer. "cut increment" to .25 because that is the most i can get out of my chamfer mill. and last i click on the "contouring" tab and put 45 (assuming it is a 45 deg chamfer) in the "draft angle" box.
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

Ok - but what feature do I select to do the chamfer op? My solid model already has the chamfer on it, and if I use a loop or a face feature, I get an error that says - "invalid element in loop" or something. Do I NEED to draw a line to chamfer along? It's only one edge I want to chamfer, the rest of the part needs to stay square.

Thanks for the help - I'm getting closer.

i am sorry, i don't know the answer to that, we just have the entry level package, so i do everything in wire frame.
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

You can draw a line where you want to chamfer or you can create a face feature on that face. If you are running 2009 r2 I can show you how if you post the file. I have found that many times when using features to profile the cycles do not react as you want them to or think they should. I usually put a piece of wireframe on it to make it easier.

Drawing a line and using profile seems easiest (that's how I finally did it) - I found you just have to play with the depth to make the actual cut you want.

It should be easier, I think. The real annoyance I have with Edgecam is how much of the thinking it tries to do for you. I prefer a simple set of controls, and let me do the thinking

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!