586,011 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    I mounted mine with the bearing facing the 2 nuts (bearing facing away from MDF). otherwise the bearing could get pulled from its housing. If im wrong on this let me know!

The light at the end of the tunnel.

Been working on the Z-axis and nearing completion of the construction phase. Here are a couple progress pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z-Axis Assembly.jpg   CNC Router in-progress.JPG  
    There are two words I always strive to never use - always and never. Always never lives up to expectations, and never always lets you down. Tim Guba (1959 - Always)

Back in Action

After an unbearably lengthy break from working on the build, due to the unbearably hot South Florida summer, I am ready to finish this bad puppy!

I have ordered and received a Keling 3-axis CNC package with 425oz-in motors and I'm getting ready to swing into action.

So stay tuned for more exciting adventures, coming soon...
    There are two words I always strive to never use - always and never. Always never lives up to expectations, and never always lets you down. Tim Guba (1959 - Always)

The Final Push

I am ready to start wiring the CNC. Any suggestions as to what gauge wire to use, cabling, special tips, etc?

Cnc router parts has some cables with 20ga conductors. I started with some cheapo cables and had issues. I ended up making my own cables with some multiconductor wire i had on hand. It was 20ga as well.

Smile Driver and Power Supply Wiring

Finished the wiring of the stepper motor drivers and the power supplies. Here are a few snaps of the results.

I mounted everything on a 3/4" Melamine board.

Here you can better see the wiring.

In this shot, you can see how I mounted the components to better help cool them.

I will be mounting the controls under the CNC itself and will follow up with more progress pictures.
    That's all for now! :wave:

Smile The faster I works, the behinder I gets...

I finally got back to the CNC router and finished the Y-Axis gantry drive. It took me a while to figure out how to implement the Dumpster anti-backlash nut, but, in a rare flash of mediocre brilliance, I came upon the idea of mounting it directly to the Y-Axis carriage. It seems to work pretty well, too!

So I'm getting there, slow as can be, but I am making positive progress.
    Stay tuned (it's only been 3 years...) :tired:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y-Axis Gantry Drive.jpg  

Construction Complete!

I finally finished the construction of the Joe's 2006 R2. Now, on to the wiring, testing, software configuration, and first cuts. It won't be long now... :banana:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012.Feb.11 Z-Axis Complete-1.jpg  

You've done a great job. I'm sure you will enjoy your new tool (toy). I have really enjoyed mine.

IT'S DONE (almost)

The build is done and the only thing remaining is the testing and tweaking.
    Strangely enough, the motors are getting power, everything seems to be working, but nothing is moving. I triple checked the wiring and the settings in Mach3. Weird.
    My next move will have to be to check the pins on the parallel port (which is on a PCI expansion card), the parallel cable, and my offering to the CNC voodoo gods...

thanks for the updates. I really want to build one.

Page 3 of 3 123