584,857 active members*
4,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

E-Box From Heck....

Finally got off my lazy butt, and built up a complete new E-Box, to replace the hacked together abomination I've been using for the last year. The box is a 24x24x12 Hoffman NEMA enclosure I found on E-Bay for $99 about 6 months ago. It's got room for 6 Geckos (only 3 G320s currently populated), as well as the 1500W servo power supply, VFD, and the whole PC. The BOBs, Geckos, and all associated connectors and wiring are all mounted on a removable module, for easy upgrading/servicing. Takes about 2 minutes to remove it from the box.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050280.JPG   P1050296.JPG   P1050321.JPG   P1050322.JPG  

P1050323.JPG  

Very nice job on the enclosure Ray. I have seen many people mounting all the components(including the vfd) in the same enclosure. I would think that you would get interference with all the components so close and unshielded, yet I don't remember reading about anybody having these problems in these enclosures. I think the attention to detail that you and others pay in the proper routing and grounding of conductors must play a huge role.
    Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Toymanf View Post
    Very nice job on the enclosure Ray. I have seen many people mounting all the components(including the vfd) in the same enclosure. I would think that you would get interference with all the components so close and unshielded, yet I don't remember reading about anybody having these problems in these enclosures. I think the attention to detail that you and others pay in the proper routing and grounding of conductors must play a huge role.
    Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!
    Frank
    Frank,

While I have very few "miles" on it, it has been dead reliable so far. I think many people do get sloppy about grounding things properly, and routing the cables logically, which can lead to problems. Believe me, if there was going to be a problem, it would've happened in my old box, which was a fraction the size of this one, and looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory! But, it was all grounded properly, and made reasonable use of shielded cables where appropriate. The VFD being in there does not appear to be a problem at all. And, for the first time, I've got a spindle speed controller that does what I tell it to, VERY accurately, ALL of the time, rather than just when it feels like it! I can heartily recommend the Homann Designs boards - they are very nicely made, and just WORK! I've got two of his MB-02 BOBs, and a DC-03 spindle I/F in there, and all work flawlessly. And, they were dirt cheap!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray -

Outstanding workmanship!