585,759 active members*
4,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Power Supply Question

I know that I can wire batteries in parallel to increase available amperage and I have done this many times for different applications.

I now have a situation where I will need to supply additional amperage from a step down power supply connected to line voltage. My question is, can I connect to of the same model power supply to one driver to get the amperage I need? It seems like a simple "yes", but sometimes things are not as simple as they appear. I just want to make sure before I fry a driver or electrocute myself.

Thanks

You did not say whether these are unregulated linear or switching supplies.
    If the former, then you can parallel up at the AC point or the DC output, If parallelling the AC, then the secondaries need to be phase correctly before connecting, there are many previous posts on this, or post if you need help.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the response Al. I came up with too many responses to be useful when searching the forum for parallel and power supply. I went out and used google with the site: option and that got me the information I needed.

I am just going to order a larger power supply. Unless anyone knows of a regulator that would notch 56 volts at 12 amps down to 50 volts of at least 10amps. I purchased a 56 volt power supply expecting to use a Keling driver that was rated up to 60V, but then found the gecko 540 was on sale and purchased that instead, but now I have 6volts more power than the driver can handle.

This is why as I have mentioned before that if a linear supply is used especially one that uses a toroidal transformer it is generally very easy to add or subtract windings to change the secondary voltage, also to add a small overwind if a low voltage auxiliary supply is required.Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.