585,683 active members*
4,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hi From Inverness

Hi All
    My name is Bob Sims I build and fly radio controlled models and Have a model engineers workshop.
    I am just about to start construction of a cnc router table (to cut parts for RC aeroplane kits) I have bought and built a HobbyCNC control unit and have downloaded a copy of the Linux EMC2 control prog. This is going to be a steep learning curve so I hope you don't mind some stupid questions in the future. Now I have to source the steel rods and bearings for the kit. Any ideas in the UK

Bob

Hi Bob,
    If you're planning using ball-bushings, ground rods, support rail etc. start by getting prices from people like Brammer, maybe Fenner, and badger the best price they'll fall for!! Then look at equivalent stuff on ebay to see if bargains are about
    Like yourself, I'm a fellow modeller (C/L) with a workshop of sorts and an inclination to do the CNC thing.
    I've my own path to tread, and build plans have been sort of set by opportune purchasing, rather than purpose.
    There are a few guys in the UK who've built serious kit for model work, one definitely worth a view is MikeF, on the zone, (off-the-wall router?)
    Meantime, I'm sure you'll get helpful responses to any threads posted, and feel free to PM me if you want to bounce ideas around.
    Regards,
    John.

Hi John
    The machine I'm making is 1 metre long 450 mm wide. To cut Balsa and Ply for homemade kits.
    I will be using ground mild steel guides, bushing ball bearings, and Stepper motors.
    I am a service engineer with an office equipment company and as such I can get hold of motors and wiring without a problem.
    I have made the electronic control unit from HobbyCNC and it works.
    I have downloaded the EMC2 control programme and I am trying to get my head around this.
    Heres a 3D pic of the machine i intend to build.

Looked at Mikef's thread thats some machine. I don't have a spare wall.
    I'll keep in touch as I start the build.
    By the way do you have any links to the company's that you mentioned I don't seem to be able to find them on the web.
    All the best
    Bob