585,575 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Parameter for programming tailstock

I have been searching for the parameter/bit to turn on the M10/M11 tail stock extend retract for a T32B control. Anyone know off hand?

CaptDave,
    Are you talking the tailstock body or quill fwd/rev. M10 and M11, tail body joint on/off, don't seem to be offered on the QT8 and the extend/retract quill M31/M32 is listed as optional.
    Lee

M31/32 is tailstock quill forward and retract. Does the tailstock have a quill forward/backward switch on the control panel? If so, you should have programmable by M31/32.

I think the M10/11 is correct above, for tractoring the tailstock by the Z axis carriage.

You could have fully manual (pretty rare), quill only M31/32, or tailbody tractor programmable M10/11 with M31/32 prog quill.

If M31/32, you need to remove the side cover and adjust your conf dogs, based on quill engagement to workpiece and tailbody.

The fully programmable ballscrew type tailstocks that came to be about 5 to 7 years ago have no separate quill. Completely different animal not available on T32 vintage.

FWIW.

Jim

PS - theres fixed cams on the carraige to tailbody for confirmation switches. carraige to TS body has to be +/- approx .075" to confirm correct position. Will not work at all if switches aren't positioned correctly.

Lee,

I did misstated what I was asking for. On the QT8 only the quill moves, tail stock has to manually positioned. The M code list doesn't identify anything specific for the quill only. M31/32 is listed as: Tail stock FWD/ backwards (pallet No. 1 or 2 selection, only for 2PC).

Sorry Jim- We were posting at the same time. It does have quill fwd/ back switch.

I had tested M10/M11 and it wasn't a valid code. I'll try M31/M32 and see if its installed, my manual shows its an option as well. I believe that this machine was used as a chucker so I may just get lucky.

I'd bet on M31/32. However, there tends to be issues using it, if it hasn't been used in...years, as may be your case. The thrust may not be strong enough to overcome being stuck from years of coolant and chips and corrosion. But, that's probably wrong, too, because you can adjust the pressure with a knob and dial, and the pressure range can go from about 200 pounds-force to over 3,000, depending on the machine.

There may be electrical corrosion issues from living in such a damp environment for so long. In my mind, if the switches work, M31/32 should work. Sometimes, there's a slim possiblity that it will not work in MDI, but will work in a full blown part program from memory!

jim

Jim,

It extends and retracts smoothly using the switch, I'll try both in MDI and add it to a program and see what happens.

The machine didn't have the auto chuck open/close M06/M07 to use with a bar puller but someone helped me to get it going. If I recall, it was a simple parameter/bit change.

Hi all,

im new in cnc programming...can you tell me how to make a program for tailstock...it showed that have to use M20,M21,M24 and M25...its that correct...