584,798 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Ultimax II Memory board batteries
Page 2 of 2 12

Question Slightly off topic - but...

On my Max32 there are 8 30 pin simm sockets with 4 populated.

I don't have power to the machine yet so I can't "try" anything.

But I was wondering if more mem could be added and if I did would the software use it. ( I have plenty of 30 pin RAM )

I'd love to pump it up to 32MB and maybe configure a ramdisk for large NC files.

As is I want to clone my HDD before I get too far.

Enough musing and rambling from me. :wave:

As far as I remember, you can only go to 8Mb. You will need a keyboard plugged into the CPU to enter the BIOS.
    As long as the config has been backed-up to floppy and the leadscrew map saved, you can make a new hard disk up in about 10 mins on a desktop PC. You will need the two software disks for your machine type.

Bloke or Andrew...
    Batteries and SRAMS on order..
    Still concerned with the screw map.
    I need to confirm what it is before I install the fix..?
    Is my approach wrong(previouspost)? or is it the board?

I also suspect I will loose any programs in memory whan I do this..Correct ?

Thanks
    Rich

Ah, I've just remembered an important detail.
    Does your machine have Randtronics servo amps? The software will only let you have the leadscrew map on V2 machines with Max400 amps and a V2 control relay panel.

Yes Bloke, I have Randtronics.

So that means no screw map, and I can change out the Dallas without a problem.

Is it worth adding a few extra SRAMS ?
    I have no PC connection, only print out of programs, which drives me nuts as the printer triple spaces every line.... so i don't do that unless absolutely necessary

Thanks again my friend !
    Rich

Extra SRAM won't be seen by the control, so isn't worth fitting. The leadscrew and backlash compensation are entered on the dual axis DIP switches so that saves that problem. The only thing you'll need to enter is the travel lengths for the axes and where you want it to calibrate (which corner).

Will the control ask me for length and Home position or do I need a special screeen/password?

Thanks Bloke you have been incredibly helpful to a retired old man who has a Hurco strictly for enjoyment.
    Even though it was used, My wife gave it to me for a retirement present, 8 years ago to keep my mind active

Rich

Rich,
    If you can print the program, You should also be able to connect it to a laptop and using Hyper Terminal download the .txt file for record keeping.
    In HT, create a new file call it Hurco (of course), than You will get prompted for the connection type, choose com1/2/3 whatever you have, do not bother with the phone#, press enter and it will ask you for the "port settings" enter the same settings you have on your machine control/communication, BPS, bits, parity, stop bits, flow control, hit enter and You are ready. Go to the toolbar and choose "transfer" than "Capture text" , and as You hit the "print " button on the Hurco, the text file will be downloaded to Your pc. Copy, paste, save, print, You can do whatever You want with it. ( I`m typing by memory, hopefully is correct, I will check tomorrow)
    Also I've looked into the screw map page, and in both my machines you get access from the Diagnostic page. Power to the servo has to be ON, go to diagn. page, press "Enter" "642" and "enter" again and the page appear ( if You have it ) , i was not aware of the different software versions available with different drives, on mine I have Yaskawa AC servo. I`ve learned something too.:cheers:
    Remember the most important rule " don`t fix it if it ain`t broke":nono:

For the travel lengths, you'll need to set X 24", Y 14" & Z 5".
    Then set the calibrate directions (X left or right, Y forward or back).
    When done, type "enter" 999 "enter" and the control will re-boot. When it re-starts, it will have the total travels and calibrate position stored.

Thanks Bloke. I went and installed new batteries in my board thanks to this thread. This is about ten years over due.

BTW...
    The mystery AB transistors on the KM3p servo amp boards can be replaced with MJ10021 Darlingtons by ON semi. Make sure they all have the same manufacture date and or wafer lot so they match up.

Talking Tweaking the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    For the travel lengths, you'll need to set X 24", Y 14" & Z 5".
    Then set the calibrate directions (X left or right, Y forward or back).
    When done, type "enter" 999 "enter" and the control will re-boot. When it re-starts, it will have the total travels and calibrate position stored.
    On my Uncles KM3 I was able to rotate the ball screws by hand and find the hard limits, then adjust the tabs for the the prox/roller switches. This allows you to use the most of your machine. - DO NOT SET THE LIMITS TO THE HARD LIMIT! You must allow some space for the machine to stop.

Check both ends of travel. When done I had X24.7 Y13.77 Z5.16 - what you end up with will vary. One factor will be the Index position in the servo relative the ballscrew - How far will the machine have to back off the limit before it finds Index and calibrates "Home". This can be adjusted by moving the Servo pulley a few teeth relative the ballscrew. Don't know if Direct drive Axis can be adjusted (too much work anyway). Note that if you swap Home locations (Front vrs Rear, Left vrs Right) your adjustments go out the window.

Re: Ultimax II Memory board batteries

Dear Bloke ,
    I have km3p with ultimax controller it ran ok few months before but as I have my machine out of power due to some construction work in factory and when I started the machine I am getting multiple problems in the machine . First I have to use enter 999 enter to go to next screen then in manual mode when I tried to reset servo or calibrate the machine x axis motor oscillates making machine to vibrate and on text screen I get error " lead screw checksum map error . invalid data or errased, what would be the problem and what should I do . Your advice and help in the matter will be highly appreciated.

I have 1984 KM3P which has an error lead screw checksum map failed . Data invalid or erased . what would be the problem and what is the solution . My machine memory board has 4 Dallas rams.

what if I have lost all memory . this is because I am getting error message " leadscrew map checksum failed . Invalid data or erased. I think tlhis is memory loss problem . Is this true . lif so please help me and guide me as to what I should do . there are many problems coming suddenly in my km3p as it was in storage for almost an year without power.

what if I have lost all memory . this is because I am getting error message " leadscrew map checksum failed . Invalid data or erased. I think tlhis is memory loss problem . Is this true . lif so please help me and guide me as to what I should do . there are many problems coming suddenly in my km3p as it was in storage for almost an year without power.

hello Skullworks,
    I think I have memory problems like I am getting alarm screw map checksum failed or erased . I have 1984 kM3P with Ultimax 2 how could I get it done . what do you suggest . please help. you can mail me on spectrum.valves at yahoo dot com.

I am not an expert on these machines. I do own a 87 KM3 which was a MAX II and a 91 KM3P which was upgraded to a MAX32 before I obtained it. That said, I try to collect as much info as I can to allow me to support my own machines.

If your mem board has the Dallas memory chips installed then you will need to get the board modified to add batteries and the Dallas chips replaced with SRAM. I was under the impression that the older MAX II machines used DIP switches or jumpers to define backlash, but honestly I really don't know.

Page 2 of 2 12