585,975 active members*
4,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with LaserCut software

Hello , I am running LaserCut 4.0 on a IE 500 60 watt laser machine. My question is regarding the Machine Parameter settings. Pretty much the entire table is confusing to understand. The values I have changed and all that seems to change is the grid size but in the machine itself it doesnt seem to want to do anything different. What I am getting at is the laser head seems to be a bit out on the axis left to right and up and down so I am trying to get it adjusted to fit better...I see values under X each length and Y each length as 40.76...I have no idea what that means and if that will change the laser head distance by changing those values? If I can get the machines laser head to re adjust then thats pretty much all I need done , the rest works A1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Terry

Hi Terry,

I am not familiar with Lasercut 4.0, I am using Lasercut 5.1 but I would have thought they would still be a lot of similarities.

I'm not sure I understand quite what you are trying to achieve. One thing I would say is make sure you write down all the parameters prior to changing them as you'll be all over with them if you want to change them back and can't remember which parameter you changed to what value.

Not sure if you know but changing the parameters in the options will have no effect on the machine u til the configuration file is downloaded again.

Do you have a copy of the manual for your controller. This will tell you what each of the parameters in the options do. If you also have the original installation disc for Lasercut, re-installing should bring all your option parameters back to default values.

Hope this helps in some way,

Regards

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdlock View Post
    Hi Terry,

I am not familiar with Lasercut 4.0, I am using Lasercut 5.1 but I would have thought they would still be a lot of similarities.

I'm not sure I understand quite what you are trying to achieve. One thing I would say is make sure you write down all the parameters prior to changing them as you'll be all over with them if you want to change them back and can't remember which parameter you changed to what value.

Not sure if you know but changing the parameters in the options will have no effect on the machine u til the configuration file is downloaded again.

Do you have a copy of the manual for your controller. This will tell you what each of the parameters in the options do. If you also have the original installation disc for Lasercut, re-installing should bring all your option parameters back to default values.

Hope this helps in some way,

Regards

Dave.

Hi Dave , yes I have recorded down the old values for the machine parameters as to not lose what they were...As for what I am trying to achieve, the laser head doesnt travel far enough across the bed meaning that its ok to the right but wont go as far to the left about 2 inches from the edge...Maybe this is normal not sure and the top to bottom seems a bit out also...How do you download the configuration file? What I did was when I made the changes to the settings I closed and re opened the software and that seemed to make a difference when I changed the Need Pulse setting...I changed that setting from 1600 to what the book said 6400 but found that it was wayyyy to fast..That setting controlled the speed of the test button. I havent changed the X and Y length just not sure what that does..So I guess I need to know now how to download the config file after I have made changes. From what I understand the 5.1 is basically the same as the 4.0 when it comes to the machine parameter settings.

Terry

P.S. Ok I see the Down CFG button but just a matter of what values to use to get the best optimization for the machine. If it helps to say the bed area measures 21 inches left to right and 12 inches top to bottom.

Hi Terry,
    I'm not at my laser at the moment but from memory, once you have changed the parameter click the download button. The one you click when sending a job to the laser.
    On the resulting box to the left of the button for downloading your current file, theres a button to download cfg.
    This downloads the configuration you have just set up in the options. Once downloaded the laser should beep to confirm.

Hope this helps

Dave.

Hi Terry,
    I'm not at my laser at the moment but from memory, once you have changed the parameter click the download button. The one you click when sending a job to the laser.
    On the resulting box to the left of the button for downloading your current file, theres a button to download cfg.
    This downloads the configuration you have just set up in the options. Once downloaded the laser should beep to confirm.

Hope this helps

Dave.
    Thanks Dave your exactly correct however I just tried it and now getting a message on the screen to say

Downloading File
    or Com failure

So not sure if its accepted the config or not , no beep signal.

Looks like I have it accepting the changes , no beeps but it does make the change when I click on the down cfg.

Here is a screenshot of what I have currently and maybe you can see where I am going wrong...The problem im having is the laser head is travelling too far to the left its hitting the frame and cant seem to get it to stop before it hits...The other is when the laser head travels downward, once again travels too far so need to shorten the travel distance. I would have thought that changing the table range y and table range x would make the difference but it didnt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine parameters.jpg  

Terry,

Looks like you are getting somewhere at least. When you say the head is travelling too far and hitting the frame, are you sending a file to the laser for it to follow?

The reason I ask is that on my machine, lets say I draw a square in lasercut thats 300mm x 300mm and I send this to the laser and hit start, depending on where my origin is set (top left, center, bottom right etc) the head starts at the origin and draws the square.
    OK, my origin is set for centre. My laser head position is currently just 100mm away from the edge of the table, I hit start, the head moves to the first corner and then proceeds along the x-axis for 300mm, the head is only 100mm from the edge to start with so it ploughs into the side.
    I have to make sure the square i'm asking it to cut is within the table area.

Alternatively, I hit 'datum' before I start, the head moves to the back right corner and stops. When I hit start the head goes off to the exact position the workpiece is on the table, according to the layout on the screen.

Not sure if I'm on the right track here with your particular problem.

Anyway, back to the settings. The pulse unit will be different to min as we have different machines. My control card is the MPC 6515 which is USB enabled. However, some of the other parameters would be similar if not the same. Here's what I have.

Pulse Unit 0.0079431250 (both axis).
    Range x-axis 900 - y-axis 600
    Start speed 10.0
    Quick speed 300
    acceleration 500
    Datum speed 40.0
    Const speed 10.0
    Test speed (fast) 300
    Test Speed (slow) 200
    Laser Space 0.0

Move 50.836
    Need Pulse 6400

My manual has a different 'move' value for each of 3 machines.

On your settings the only thing that sticks out to me is the acceleration, seems very high.

Here's a link to 5.1 manual. Page 36 has the settings. This is obviously no good for your settings but it will give you an idea and may provide further insight.
    http://www.step-servo.com/english/le...aserCut5.1.pdf
    Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Dave.

Terry,

Looks like you are getting somewhere at least. When you say the head is travelling too far and hitting the frame, are you sending a file to the laser for it to follow?

The reason I ask is that on my machine, lets say I draw a square in lasercut thats 300mm x 300mm and I send this to the laser and hit start, depending on where my origin is set (top left, center, bottom right etc) the head starts at the origin and draws the square.
    OK, my origin is set for centre. My laser head position is currently just 100mm away from the edge of the table, I hit start, the head moves to the first corner and then proceeds along the x-axis for 300mm, the head is only 100mm from the edge to start with so it ploughs into the side.
    I have to make sure the square i'm asking it to cut is within the table area.

Alternatively, I hit 'datum' before I start, the head moves to the back right corner and stops. When I hit start the head goes off to the exact position the workpiece is on the table, according to the layout on the screen.

Not sure if I'm on the right track here with your particular problem.

Anyway, back to the settings. The pulse unit will be different to min as we have different machines. My control card is the MPC 6515 which is USB enabled. However, some of the other parameters would be similar if not the same. Here's what I have.

Pulse Unit 0.0079431250 (both axis).
    Range x-axis 900 - y-axis 600
    Start speed 10.0
    Quick speed 300
    acceleration 500
    Datum speed 40.0
    Const speed 10.0
    Test speed (fast) 300
    Test Speed (slow) 200
    Laser Space 0.0

Move 50.836
    Need Pulse 6400

My manual has a different 'move' value for each of 3 machines.

On your settings the only thing that sticks out to me is the acceleration, seems very high.

Here's a link to 5.1 manual. Page 36 has the settings. This is obviously no good for your settings but it will give you an idea and may provide further insight.
    http://www.step-servo.com/english/le...aserCut5.1.pdf
    Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Dave.
    Yes Dave all makes sense and thank you for the link to the manual , it does help..To clarify what I was trying to say was the laser head would travel too far if I was to hold down on the left arrow button..Even though the table range in the book says X 900 and Y 600 those values are way way too large for my machine so after tinkering around withe the settings I come up with X483 and Y 256 this way the head wont hit into the machine as described earlier. So essentially I can engrave or cut anywhere on the table now. The other settings are based on the book except the pulse settings were much too high , I dropped those down to 1700 each. So I am close now to what I want, just trying to figure out how to speed up the laser when doing the test , the head travels slow and wouldnt mind picking up the speed on that. Know what setting that one is?

Lastly the accelleration does have a high number, its the value in the book and seems ok at that setting..Sometimes I like the laser head to travel quickly across the table when navigating from the arrows.

Terry

Ah! I see where you are coming from now.

If I were to use the control panel cursor arrows and hold one down, mine would also hit the side. It was the same on my previous machine.
    Even using the cursor keys on-screen with the mouse it would do the same thing.
    I did question this when I first got my machine and was led to believe this was normal!!

I'm just laughing at myself for understanding what you meant in the beginning.

In my settings I have the test speed parameters to play with both on the worktable options (page 36) and the feeding options (page 38).

Anyway, Have fun and good luck.

Regards

Dave.

Ah! I see where you are coming from now.

If I were to use the control panel cursor arrows and hold one down, mine would also hit the side. It was the same on my previous machine.
    Even using the cursor keys on-screen with the mouse it would do the same thing.
    I did question this when I first got my machine and was led to believe this was normal!!

I'm just laughing at myself for understanding what you meant in the beginning.

In my settings I have the test speed parameters to play with both on the worktable options (page 36) and the feeding options (page 38).

Anyway, Have fun and good luck.

Regards

Dave.
    Looks like we have both learned something with these finicky machines , talk about trial and error lol

Terry