585,683 active members*
4,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > conventional grinding machine and resharping/making custom tools

Unhappy conventional grinding machine and resharping/making custom tools

hi i hope this is the right place, in my new job they have a conventional grinding machine and the boss said i am suppose to grind and make my own tools out of carbide if i am to keep my job, as cnc set up man , i am used to receive the tools ready for their application on the particular job which is a bad habit, because i have a hard time to provide my own tools does anyone has manual or can refer me to a site or book about how to resharp and make tools like ID grooving boring bar , face grooving boring bar i am smart and handy but i lack experience and theory about the geometry of tools, so i am open and thankful for any advice at all thanks a lot. and i want to know if is posible to resharp a drill on a grinding machine if so, how to make a fixture to get the "perfect sharp thank you for helping me keep my job

Oh no, not another one! Are you serious about YOU have to provide the perishable tooling for your job?

If so, the best thing you can do is pack up and leave....NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    Oh no, not another one! Are you serious about YOU have to provide the perishable tooling for your job?

If so, the best thing you can do is pack up and leave....NOW.
    I agree, and I might add run away from this job fast. Sounds like they want to give you a carbide blank and you grind your own tool? That's just silly, inserts are cheap enough compared to labor costs involved in making your own tooling from carbide. Not to mention the effects on expensive materials if the tool is not made or sharpened right, tooling companies specialize in this for a reason. Next your boss is gonna ask you to apply TICN coating to those hand made tools, what a joke. If my boss told me something like that I would pack up and leave, after laughing in his face first.