584,817 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: KJ-66

KJ-66

Well, i forgot we had a section in here for turbines. Hopefully i can get some help with the build.

I figure i'd start on a proven type (KJ-66)
    I have bought some of the difficult parts and some not so, just cos they were cheap.

Here is a pic of my parts which just arrived today.

I can smell JET-A1 already!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KJ-66.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by mikie View Post
    Well, i forgot we had a section in here for turbines. Hopefully i can get some help with the build.

I figure i'd start on a proven type (KJ-66)
    I have bought some of the difficult parts and some not so, just cos they were cheap.

Here is a pic of my parts which just arrived today.

I can smell JET-A1 already!!
    Okay, how much is 'cheap' ? Buy those components in SA is for the rich and hopefully famous? When will you complete the project?

Cheap = Aus$450 for all the parts shown, which are machine finished and pre balanced. this included shipping to Australia.

Complete project = length of string.

HI

Yes we can supply you Turbine ...

We have 5 Axis CNC ...

You can mail me [email protected] for further details..

Best Regards

Paresh

KJ-66 Upgrade

Hi mikie

(not to stray too far from the topic), but I built a Schreking turbine about 10 years ago. Never had much succes with it, but I am interested in upgrading it to a KJ66. Can I ask where you got the plans from.

When I built mine, I NC machined the compressor wheel with some code I generated from a BASIC program. I was thinking of buying one of the turbine disks from Wren, but I'm interested in where you sourced yours from.

What can you tell me ?

Hardy

Parts Source

Talk to Tang from these guys

http://www.worldturbocharger.com/en/...bojet%20engine

This is the direct link to the parts he supplies. I had to wait a week for him to grind the shaft, but he was prompt and the parts seem to be fine so far.

Plans are from a chap here at work, not sure where he sourced them from.

I'm not sure what this Paresh guy is about, i've not dealt with him.

I hope this helps hardy. yell out if I can help with something else, but keep in mind i'm only starting out and i'm on a huge learning curve too.

KJ66 oficial web site: http://www.artesjet.com/news.htm
    Mr Artes from Spain was your developer. He are retired right now but yours plans can be downlad for free from Emule

Nice parts Mikie,
    In the photo I don't see any grinding marks on the raised ring on the inside of the wheel, Unless they are on the other side,it looks like it may not be ballanced.Is there any markings as to how it was assembled when balanced so you can replicate their assembly. Just asking because I am sure a balanced rotating assembly is important at the speeds they spin.
    I too am looking into building a KJ 66. There is so much to read.
    Would you want to swap plans? I am curious what yours look like. I have seen a few different varieties.
    Do you have a goal as for how much thrust you would like to get?
    look forward to your build

Rebuildit,

The turbine has been balanced as a single unit. The reverse side has a small section removed. (as you indicated)

I have come across a website that shows how they have built a balancing unit. As I have the mill I will be making the mechanicals and the chap I work with is a wiz bang with the electronics, so he is going to built the electricketry. I will use this to balance the unit as a whole, with as you sate the anticipation on balancing the unit as a whole for the fast rotational speeds.

The plans I have are from Kurt Schrecklings book, towards the rear. I am waiting for an email on a modification which has been made on the lubrication system for this plan. As for the diffuser, I was anticipating to use the one on JMPrecisions website.

http://jmprecision.co.uk/shopping/pg...&=SID#MOREINFO

A friend on mine has 11 CNC lathes (ANCA). When one is not enough you buy lots!! I want to write a small program for it to machine the shaft tunnel. I think this would be a good approach for the bell inlet too. I just need to advise my mate of all of this - should be fine with him though.

/M

jmprecision has alot of parts for this engine. I was looking at a link of a person who made a balancer. I was thinking of trying that out. the shaft tunnel sounds like it will come out very nice.
    I look forward to your build!

I see JM precission list two versions of everything, there must be a std and an upgraded version.
    Looking a starting to build one myself but much confussion over different plans and upgrades, I have just joined the Gas Turbine builders Association www.gtba.co.uk as well so hope to get some help there.
    JM precissions wheels and NGV looks good, these are the most critical parts.