585,758 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

software suggestions for art patterns

Hello,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am trying to convert my metal art patterns to computer drawings that I can send them to a company that does laser cutting, as I no longer have access to a PlasmaCam. I have older PlasmaCam software on my desktop that I use to finish off my patterns, but the software does not export the files in any other format but "pcm".

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I would like to end up with files in dxf format so that I don't have any added set-up costs with the laser-cutting company.

Here is how I am doing my pattern process:

1. I draw the image with a sharpie and scan the image in as a jpeg.
    2. I open the image in Gimp2 (which is equivalent to a Photoshop Elements program, but free).
    3. While in Gimp2, I flatten the image, change it to grayscale, cleanup the edges by inverting it back and forth, and then lastly convert it to a bmp file.
    4. Then, I import the bmp file into my old PlasmaCam software and finish cleaning up the drawing and fix the lines.

That's where I am stuck. I am stuck with the drawing in a pcm file format because I am unable to export it as a dxf file.

I am sure there is a better way to do all of this because it can take me a long time---however, I have cut down on time tremendously since I started using a graphics tablet while in Gimp2.

I need something to replace the PlasmaCam software because I don't want to pay for the new PlasmaCam software and I do need the files to be in dxf format and ready for cutting.

I saw two programs at Office Depot today; TurboCad and ViaCad. The ViaCad will import bmp files and export dxf files. I am leaning towards the ViaCad.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to speed up my process and/or replace the PlasmaCam software?

Cheers,
    Tammy

My buddy used a digitizer, I think thats what it is called.. its basically a large scanner but converts straight dxf/dwg. It was used for draftsman to take hand drawn blueprints (original) and make them into a digital cp file. But im sure their is several different ways to acheive your objective... Im probably not the best person to answer your problem, but a digitizer might help.

A couple of vector programs for you:

1) Inkscape

2) CorelDRAW

Inkscape:

Pros. The software is free, will trace an image, has a lot of great tools, will export a dxf with my r12 plugin.

Cons. It will bog down on large files, will not save an arc (all short lines), the dxf will need to be re-sized outside of Inkscape in a cad/cam program (Inkscape will save the dxf in pixel units).

Coreldraw:

Pros. Will export a dxf, lot of great tools.

Cons. It's not free
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Some more ideas:

In CorelDraw import the bitmap (scan)
    Setup a new layer and using the vector drawing tools in Corel hand trace it.
    Export in DXF using DXFTools Corel plugin (www.coreldrawtools.com) to keep arcs and curves.

Once you can do that then skip the drawing by hand and scanning parts and draw in native vectors in CorelDraw. Import vector artwork (www.Vectorart.com is a great source for high quality vector clipart). There are thousands of vector clipart files you can buy. Be careful because some are really ragged (cheap ones on E-BAY). Good ones will be in AI or EPS format.

CorelDraw Suite somes with Corel Trace, hundreds of Truetype Fonts, and a whole CD of clipart. Version 12 or higher is needed. There are still some low cost full versions of CorelDraw X3 Suite for sale. See EBay.

Pure CAD programs are not the best choice for doing decorative cutting. Inkscape has promise but is slow on big files locks up occasionally and has limited import and export file choices. It's based around SVG file formats that don't seem to import cleanly into other drawing programs that supposedly support SVG (?) It segments files on the DXF export (just like Corel) but there is no low cost solution like DXFTools for it.

Great source for line drawings you are allowed to trace and use for free (but not resell as clipart): Scroll saw patterns. There are books with B & W line patterns and CD's with bitmaps and this: http://www.finescrollsaw.com/freepatterns.htm

Make sure any book, CD or file you buy and copy allows you to use the pattern and resell the products you make with it without limitations.

Since its made for scroll saws it's perfect for plasma cutting or routing.

If you keep your artwork in native CorelDraw (CDR) format then you always can go back and quickly modify a design. Since DXFTool does not require you convert fonts to curves proior to export your master keeps all of the font infomation intact and can be easily edited.

You can develop a library of complex "objects" and use them. (Hint: learn to use the WELD and TRIM tools on objects in CorelDraw!). You can buy nice collections of fancy designs (borders, flourishes, patterns) from the www.vectorart.com in EPS format and import directly into CorelDraw for DXF export.

It's a hassle to learn the native tools in CorelDraw (or Inkscape) to draw on the screen but once you do you will curse every hour you wasted drawing, scanning, cleaning and tracing into a proprietary file format.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

As far as learning CorelDraw, or Inkscape. You can find plenty of free online video tutorials (youtube, etc...).
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

I will further the vote for CorelDraw and DXF tool for exporting to .dxf format. There are some really good tutorials for CorelDraw as well as macros to help with some functions. Once you learn a few tricks in this program you will love it.

Hand trace Dover electronic clipart

Hi,

If you hand trace Dover electronic clipart you will be building a library that is guaranteed legal and royalty free. Here is a link to the Dover website but you can usually get this cheaper on Amazon.com

http://store.doverpublications.com/b...--cd-rom-.html

The BEST method I have seen for hand tracing is published by well known CorelDRAW trainer Jeff Harrison. It is not free, but it very low cost and REALLY worth it.

http://www.macromonster.com/index.ph...scr&id_desc=5&

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Thanks so much for the helpful info.

Tammy