585,974 active members*
4,162 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 Mini-Mill Column Brace (photo & video)

X2 Mini-Mill Column Brace (photo & video)

I was asked in another thread to post a photo of my column brace. Makes more sense to make a new thread for it.

1/8" thick mild steel bolted to the column and the base. SPacers needed on base bolts. Column can be tilted by removing two upper bolts.

Without this brace, I coulnd barely cut aluminum with a 1/4" endmill. With the brace, I can run a 4" diameter fly cutter as seen in this video.

Note: fly cutters typically are making interrupted cuts. This can shatter the plastic gears in a stock X2 head. I would not reccomend this without the belt drive conversion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-C59aF-ac"]YouTube - Machining Aluminum with Fly Cutter on X2 with Mach3 control software[/ame]

Good idea. I will likely do the same. Funny thing was that I had an issue like yours. I just tightened the bolt some more since it was barely snug and noticed a world of difference.

Any thoughts on using some engine block filler to further stiffen the column? I have some lying around.

Oh by the way, I found your videos to be mesmerizing! I have a long way to go...

Looks good.
    Really just about anything added would do a better job than the as shipped X2. Filling the column, adding stiffner to the back, bracing the full column etc are all steps in the right direction. There are quite a few ways guys have done this here at the Zone.

Personally when I used my X2 in manual mode, I never saw the use for the tilting feature of the column. It throws out the weight and does odd things to the dovetails. If one really needed the tilting feature, it should be added as an addition like the well clad Hoss X2 Freak.

I choose not to convert an X2 for my first mill and feel it was a good decision.
    Now I really need a second mill that would just cut small aluminum parts. I am leaning toward using what is left of my X2 and 7-12 lathe.

The column would certainly be the first issue I address.
    Nice work and machine. Got her tuned up real nice.
    Lee

In my opinion, there is a reasonable limit to how much column stiffening is useful on an X2 because the rest of the machine is also light weight.

It is a pretty tough little machine though . . takes a lot of abuse. Using a full size mill vice helps the X2 a lot just because of the mass it adds to the table.

The current task for my little beast is a test bed to evaluate servo drives for the 4th axis and for my next X3 project, then I'll be done with the X2 and sell it.

Thanks alot for posting that pic up!

I'm planning to make something like that too.

I bet you'll never sell your X2! You're probably more likely to turn it into a CD polishing device than sell it...

Re: X2 Mini-Mill Column Brace (photo & video)

Quote Originally Posted by simpson36 View Post
    I was asked in another thread to post a photo of my column brace. Makes more sense to make a new thread for it.

1/8" thick mild steel bolted to the column and the base. SPacers needed on base bolts. Column can be tilted by removing two upper bolts.

Without this brace, I coulnd barely cut aluminum with a 1/4" endmill. With the brace, I can run a 4" diameter fly cutter as seen in this video.

Note: fly cutters typically are making interrupted cuts. This can shatter the plastic gears in a stock X2 head. I would not reccomend this without the belt drive conversion.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-C59aF-ac"]YouTube - Machining Aluminum with Fly Cutter on X2 with Mach3 control software
    My time has come to give mine a much needed backbone as well. On larger endmills I can see the thing move it ways it shouldn't.

Wet noodle?
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Wet noodle?
    Yes, I have some 4"x1/4" cold rolled steel that will weld in to a nice "T" that should do well.