585,597 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Sweo spindle drive? new mill dead spindle

Sweo spindle drive? new mill dead spindle

Hi, we just got a VMC40 from a dealer. Spindle won't turn, just gives a #9 spindle error (inverter fault).

Waiting to hear something from the dealer, he's trying to get details on the guys he bought it from.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here has any ideas.
    No action from the spindle, no LEDs are active on the unit - including the green "ready" and "on" lights.

Really upset that the new arrival is a dud

Is there a Contactor that pick up to power the spindle inverter? if it does'nt pick up, is the overload tripped,
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

No contactor. It is fed right off the main transformer.

There is an overload between the inverter and spindle motor, overload looks ok but there is no output at the inverter.

Thanks

what type of inverter,baldor sweodrive 170?
    there are 4 internal fuses, good?
    for excellent replacement parts go to kmac-parts
    the above inverter is $3000.00 usd.
    i am an independant fadal service tech in windsor ont.
    [email protected]

Check the voltage at the transformer at A12, B12, and C12. Should be 230Vac 3 phase. Also check at L1, L2, and L3 at the inverter input for the same voltage. (same as R, S, and T) If the correct voltage is there then start he spindle, even if it doesn't start and check the output voltage at T1, T2, and T3 of the inverter. It wil vary depending on the RPM specified. If no voltage here then suspect the drive as the problem. If the voltage verifies at the inverter output then suspect the spindle motor.

Neal

One of the internal fuses keeps blowing. The 2A KTK fuse on the 300VDC buss. I am not sure if it blows on powerup or on spindle on command.

Transformer voltage is good, 235VAC on A12 & C12. 1-phase install so inverter input L2 & L3 are both tied to C12.

No output voltage from the inverter on T1/2/3. The inverter doesn't even turn on it's LEDs. I am pretty sure the inverter is damaged but just want to be sure as it's new to us and it was sold as / described as in working order.

Thus far, it's working as a paperweight :/

Thanks fellas.

Ok so I'm pretty convinced that the inverter is dead.

Why would I want to pay $3000-$5000 for a remanufactured 15 year old open loop inverter when I can pick up a new flux drive for ~$1200.

Control lines will transplant pretty easily. Spin Fwd, Spin Rev, Error line, Speed signal, and outputs for the spindle load meter.

Thoughts?

At

Was the machine promised in 'working order' if so you should have some recourse from the dealer.
    Most VFD's are configurable as far as I/O and usually transplant fairly easily.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

inverter faults

I have a customer here in southern ontario who put in "an inverter that fits".
    The total retrofit took 13 hours by a local control service company.
    The orientation is very slow. Atc cycle is slow. It is a better long term solution to replace the inverter with the same that came out.

I fail to believe that a new vector drive inverter will be inferior to a 20 year old open loop drive.

I have found what I believe to be a drop in.

Getting a little support from the dealer. Could use a little more Starting to sweat now that it's been down for a week and things are backing up something FIERCE!

OK the Baldor Sweo drive and Vector drive go bad after a few 10-15 years. I have had mine upgraded with a better power supply and complete go thru from www.practec.com and these guys are quick and warranty there work(6 months) I don't work for them, I work in a machine shop and had to send them to be fixed. I now have it down to about 45min. to take one out and wire back up in the machine. Just make sure you get the inverter bulletin from Fadal to load up the software back into the inverter.

Fuzz

The link to practec goes to a financial services company. Do you have another URL or phone# for them?

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Hey, thanks BIG TIME!!!