584,863 active members*
4,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport dx-32 series 1 v2xt axis issues

I'm having trouble with the axis drives on a V2XT. I don't have any good info on it, just the basic prints and manual.

History on the machine before I was called in:
    -bought through a Gov. Auction
    -All the cables between the machine and cabinet were cut
    (motors, encoders, limits, etc)
    -wires were repaced with "factory" wires

Since I was on it:
    -rewired machine for correct voltage of supply
    -recheck all wires vs. print
    - checked all voltages in machine
    -checked all limits/switches to panel
    -went through the trouble shooting for replaced axis wires (found out some motors, encoders, tachs were wired backwards from the factory)

--I have all axis disconnected except Z, the first to home. figured I'd try to get one axis at a time--

What it's doing now:
    -when I first enable drives the Z will stay still
    -The hand pot will work in "jog off limits"
    -the jog switch will work the correct direction, BUT when you release the switch the drive will not stop
    -Try to home and it will go past the home limit to the overtravel, then stop with a overtravel alarm
    -After overtravel alarm is reset and drives enabled again the axis will run away.

I then again went through all the wires that were replaced before ME, and then the rest of the cabinet incase something was hit in the process of replacing the wires.

I have enough time in this it has to be something stupid! (nuts)
    Any ideas would be helpful.

Sorry for any misspelling, or sutch. I work third shift, a Haas and a Motch gave me troubles all night. Then I went to bang my head on this some more.

Thanks in advance
    Trevor

You did not state if this machine has a BMDC or a FMDC.
    If it has a BMDC, check L2 for continuity. It provides 5VDC to the encoders.
    Do you know how to use a O'scope?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'll have to check when I get back up there. Like I said this is my first Bridgeport, so it's new to me. I did do a search on here and had a thread about problems on homing one of these. In the post (might have been yours) it says "All 5VDC goes from PC logic power supply through L1 on BMDC to AXSbob to encoders" I didn't see a L1. The AXSbob is supplied from a 50 wire ribbom. The power supply 5v checks good at the plug the manual says to check at. (spare disc drive plug)

I was going to look for the 5v in different spots, but then they had to turn the power off of the machine on me. So I went through the wires some more. I found some wires in pugs that were not in the connectors good, so when I got power back I tried it and there was no difference. Then I was dead tired.

I haven't use a O' scope in years, so I'll have to say I'd be real rusty.

This machine almost makes me like working on Mori's, and Makino's. LOL

Thanks
    Trevor

The AXSBOB means you have a BMDC. Also means it has a AUXBOB. Both are pin out boards for the BMDC. If you can get your hands on the maintenance manual, the control and drives are explained in great detail.
    The 5 VDC comes from the logic power supply to the mother board to the BMDC via the edge connector, to the AXSBOB to the encoders. L1 on the BMDC acts as a fuse. If there is a short as when wires/cables are wrong, this device smokes. You will no longer have any functioning position loops.On older BMDC boards, L1 is a piece of wire with a ferrite cylinder on it. On the surface mount type BMDC, L1 is a surface mount device (duh). There is a V2XT YAHOO group which has a lot of stuff in its download library including machine software. You will also need to be DOS literate.
    But these are easy machines to diagnose and fix. Just need to understand them.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George!

I was thinking that I didn't have any position loops by the way it was acting. I wanted to see if I could find the 5V at the axsbob. But I'm going to check out the L1 on the BMDC tomorrow morning. Now thinking back to the first day I showed up to work on it, There was also a short that wouldn't let the machine even power up. I can't remember what it was off hand, but it wouldn't suprise me that the L1 could have gone also.

I'm told that there will be a Maint. manual there for me tomorrow. It isn't that bad to work on, the control remind me of the old extruders I was on years ago. Just new to me. Thanks for the point in the right direction, I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Trevor

update

-L1 was bad
    -Pulled BMDC and fixed L1
    -went to boot up then It would not boot, Check the Memory card, reset and it booted. Must have got loose when I pulled the BMDC
    -Still doing the same thing
    -first time axis is enabled it stays still
    -go to home and it passes home and stops on overtravel
    -after fault (overtravel) enable drives again axis runs away
    - axis jog switch still will not stop movment when released to center
    :but seems to control speed better
    :Now the Jog Pot does not work at all

I double checked the 5V and I have it now. The only difference I see now is I have two LED's lit on the drives now vs one I had before. I'm Half asleep now so I need to double check this monday : Bottom LED on drives D37 says its green on the print and it's the power. I swear it is red on the machine and I always had it lit. Middle LED D27 says it red and fualt on the print, But I swear it's yellow and now lit up on all the drives. I need to double check that last part on monday.

I got the maintenance and parts breakdown manual. It does explain a lot about the drives. But under the troubleshooting (chapter 7) and the Tests (chapter 8) I only have one page each that says "Information is being updated.. will be provided at a later date."

I did a fast look under the Yahoo area, haven't had time to really search. I'm going to try to do that and read the manual front to back for monday.

Hey Guys ,
    Just developed the same probled on a FMDC machine. Was using a drill cycle and got a Z axis overflow. When I restarted the drives and tried to re-home the machine, it acted the exact same way. Please keep me informed to your final solution to this problem.

Thanks,
    nederjack

Re: Bridgeport dx-32 series 1 v2xt axis issues

What is the value of L1?