585,749 active members*
3,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > CNC/Etch recommendations - high accuracy

CNC/Etch recommendations - high accuracy

Loving this forum!

I am working on a research project that involves "glue-ing" carbon-based nanotubes (well, closer to microtubes) into channels etched into various aluminum, nickel, and anodized aluminum alloys. The scale of the tubes are 50 um (0.001968503935 inches to be kinda precise). However, the profile of the tubes are more rectangular with dimensions of 50um x 10mm x 500um with spacing of 50um. It is possible that some samples will be made with larger tubes of 200um x 10mm x 800um with 100um spacing. The "glue" is more complex than super-glue or other ethyl cyanoacrylate-based adhesives but need not be taken into serious consideration as the glue we developed adds only 1.1 um to each surface when cured. Interestingly enough, it is possible that one application of this product would be for micro-friction/air bearing rails.

What would you recommend as a setup/manufacturer for a CNC machine? The samples range from 2x2 in to 8x4 in. I have no idea where to start for tooling, bits etc. The depth of 500 um is little more than a scratch, but some of the alloys are tough. Are there bits this fine (or finer)? If I make a scratch, how can I efficiently deburr the edges without rounding them back into the voids?

I'm not looking for a big bed, not looking for high inches per second, but the number one criterion is high accuracy with high repeatability (and the tooling and bits to go with it). We created some samples with diamond "chips" embedded in a modified hand planer...so you can see that is not exactly accurate or repeatable. It was only a test : )

Thanks a bunch!

Take a look at these machines, they claim "Micro precision ±1.0 μm".
    Wouldn't want to see the price tag....

http://www.kern-microtechnic.com/upl...rn_micro_e.pdf

Thanks Clancy64. The specs are in line with the requirements. I appreciate the tip.

We're currently holding about 6.5 microns with Kitamura and Fanuc Robos. Fanuc also makes this. Check out the 1mm high Buddha head.

http://www.fanuc.co.jp/en/product/robonano/index.htm

These aren't currently being imported, but they have some impressive specs. You might also want to look at a RokuRoku, but I know they were $500k 8 years ago.
    cctplastics.com

Thanks cctplastics. Now that's some precision. The diffraction grating samples were awesome and I found almost the same size grooves in the pdf (see link below). Well, I now have a range of choices and can be sure that this level of precision is possible...but the ROBONANO, according to the disclaimer at the bottom of the page from the link you provided, reads "The sales of this machine is currently limited to the Japanese domestic market."

You definitely helped to point me in the right direction. And $500k would be a tough sell to the board : ) I guess this level of precision is outside the range of a DIY machine. Now I'll have to scrap my ShopBot plans : )

The buddha head (amazing!) and the 50 um grooves are in this pdf:

http://www.e-engraving.com/machines/..._Alpha-OiB.pdf

Fanuc's master distributor in the US is Methods Machine in New England. We can see the need for that kind of precision coming to our business in the next 5 years or so. I hope they have started importing them by then. We currently have 4 of the standard Fanuc Robodrills and have been very pleased.
    cctplastics.com