585,926 active members*
3,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machining as college job

Machining as college job

After this school year (my senior year in high school) I plan to go to a technical school and take a 9 month "Machine Technology" course. After that I want to go to university for 4 years to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering. The two big college towns in my state both seem to have 3 or 4 machine shops listed in the yellow pages.

My question is, with the certificate I get from the technical school, what kind of hourly wages could I expect to make? I probably wouldn't want to work more than 20 hours a week, couldn't say for sure until I see how difficult studying is. I haven't been earning good grades in school so far :tired: so I doubt I will see much in the way of financial aid, just help paying tuition from the parents so the more I can earn the better.

Would a machine shop even hire someone that only wants to work a small amount of hours? I would be willing to do menial things if the pay was good (don't know why I would need that schooling to sweep the floors though). I really don't know how much I will learn at the technical school so it is hard to estimate what my worth would be. Would 15 dollars an hour be unrealistic to expect? Did any of you guys work part time during school? Just trying to get an idea of how I will pay for phone bill, car (if I bring one), rent, meals, beer, etc.

I worked full time while going through school (still am), and I would say unless you are going to work at an OEM, the typical shop will start you off at alot less then 15/hour. However that is my experience in Wisconsin, your state may be different.

Another example. I've been machining (In a job shop environment) for about 2 years total, alot of that I was writing my own programs, setting my own parts up, and setting up tooling. And I was making less than 15 dollars an hour, and some of the guys who had worked at the shop for 15 years were just barely making 20 bucks an hour.

However if you find a decent place that pays decently you might be more in luck (and from what I have heard from friends: in other states shops aren't nearly as stingy).

I think eight to twelve an hour is a more realistic range for someone with your planned background. And, usually without benefits for part-timers.
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Hey, I did this exact route. I am now just turned 24 and out of highschool I did machining course Then I worked in CNC, anodizing, mold making and going to school part time.

I am not currently a senior in mechanical engineer with a 3.2 gpa. I got laid off from my CNC position because I was leaving early to go to school two times a week. I was forced to attend school full time. I am just going to get it done. Althought at my college they do have a machine shop I might be able to work at.

If I were to give advice. While in machining school take night classes at the college.

Also, don't forget about welding knowledge that is also very important in my opinion. At least learn how to run a MIG welder.

GOOD LUCK!!