584,862 active members*
5,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Locking Nut orientation

Hello, I bought a SFU1605 ball screw set from Amazon. It came with a BK Support, BF Support, Nut Housing, Locking Spring, Locking nut and Coupler. The Locking Nut has one side showing the silver metallic screw thread. Is that side supposed to be facing (touching) the BK Support or the Coupler? The seller said it should be facing the Coupler but on youtube, I have seen two persons doing it the opposite way. Could you please let me know which is the correct orientation and why?

Re: Locking Nut orientation

The ground side goes to the bearing. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    The ground side goes to the bearing. Peter
    What is "ground side"? Do you mean the orientation shown in the photo is wrong and I should flip it so that the silver ring (pointed by the red arrow) is facing BK12?

https://imgur.com/a/gsLp4sh

Yes - Thats correct. There is a spacer inside the assembly that has ground ends. The spacer slips into the seal. The nut pushes on the spacer and the spacer pushes against the bearing race. They need to be square so that's why the contact surfaces are ground flat. Peter

your nut maybe ground both sides? Just ensure that the nut is pushing the spacer not the seal...

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Yes - Thats correct. There is a spacer inside the assembly that has ground ends. The spacer slips into the seal. The nut pushes on the spacer and the spacer pushes against the bearing race. They need to be square so that's why the contact surfaces are ground flat. Peter

your nut maybe ground both sides? Just ensure that the nut is pushing the spacer not the seal...

So B is the correct way. Nut seems to be grounded on one side only. Please refer to the photo.

https://imgur.com/a/hV1DzUz

How to ensure that the nut is pushing the black spacer not the seal? Any good video to show the proper way to tighten the nut?

Hi,
    it looks to me that in A there is the sleeve peteeng is talking about, whereas in B it seems to be missing.
    The nut is in the correct orientation in B, but it should clamp firmly to a tubular ring which transmits that clamping to the bearing.
    Can you confirm the existence of that sleeve/ring?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    it looks to me that in A there is the sleeve peteeng is talking about, whereas in B it seems to be missing.
    The nut is in the correct orientation in B, but it should clamp firmly to a tubular ring which transmits that clamping to the bearing.
    Can you confirm the existence of that sleeve/ring?

Craig

Thanks for checking. I took B apart to check. Do you mean those two black rings shown in the photo?

https://imgur.com/a/q7WMIWm

Please note that the one at the front (circled in red) is taller than the one at the back. Does this look OK?

Hi,
    yes, they must be in place. You can now see that the nut bears on one ring, which transmits that to the bearings and then through the second ring to the shoulder of
    the ballscrew. That is as it should be. Note that the outer surface of the rings is also the surface that the two seals rub on, they must be perfectly clean and smooth
    or the seal lip will be destroyed.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    yes, they must be in place. You can now see that the nut bears on one ring, which transmits that to the bearings and then through the second ring to the shoulder of
    the ballscrew. That is as it should be. Note that the outer surface of the rings is also the surface that the two seals rub on, they must be perfectly clean and smooth
    or the seal lip will be destroyed.

Craig
    Thanks. Any good way to tighten the nut properly for this assembly? I have seen a few videos but not sure if they were doing it correctly.

Hi,
    it is not hugely critical. Once the nut is tight there is a solid 'stack' of rings and bearing races between the clamping face of the nut
    and the shoulder of the ballscrew. If you really torque the nut tight the parts all being essentially incompressible do not change.
    Provided there is sufficient torque to prevent a gap forming between one or more of the rings and/or races if the load opposes the clamping force
    then its enough.

I would torque them to firm, say 25Nm. More would not hurt, but neither do you gain anything. Is there any way to lock them once torqued up? My FK25's have a little grub screw
    in the nut to lock it.

Craig

hello friend,
    This is Steve from MSM Store.We're selling various of Linear Bearings,Shaft Holders,Couplings,Handles,Manual Screw Jacks,Press Plates,etc.Mainly all kinds of accessories of machines.If you have in need of such items,please feel free to contact me [email protected]
    You may also visit our site at https://www.msmstore.com/ for details.
    Thanks