584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 12 56789
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneHill View Post
    Megan,

Post #15 has the program with the TAP file extension included. Like Bubba said, just rename file will work.

Wayne
    Hey Wayne!

Thanks that makes it even easier. You guys were a life saver!

I found this thread.. and excellent application:

For my intention, it's just sitting doing nothing when set in motion:

This is a selection of what I'm trying to convert:

It's for the Phlat Printer and I want to make it with a laser instead

Basically, I've figure out that M07 turns off my laser, M09 turns it on. I usually use DesKAM 2000 to convert DXF to gcode.

Code:
    G90
    G20
    G49
    M3 S15000
    G00 Z   0.050
    G01 X   3.257 Y   0.746 F250
    G01 Z  -0.083 F100
    G01 Y   2.121 F250
    G00 Z   0.050
    G01 X   5.766 Y   0.758 F250
    G01 Z  -0.083 F100
    G01 Y   2.108 F250
    G00 Z   0.050
    G01 X  10.939 Y   0.784 F250
    G01 Z  -0.083 F100
    G01 Y   2.082 F250
    G00 Z   0.050
    G01 X  12.257 Y   0.799 F250
    G01 Z  -0.083 F100
    G01 Y   2.068 F250
    G00 Z   0.050
    G01 X  12.909 Y   0.807 F250
    G01 Z  -0.083 F100
    G01 Y   2.060 F250
    Edit: I found the one with the installer, "G-Code td DXF Converter", and with the two boxes ticked, I get much more favorable results.

I just need to figure out if I need to allow for some of the Z surface to be valid as what I think should be two identical parts is not coming out that way.

The first image shows the output and where the part closest to the bottom and the fourth one up, the fourth one up is two pieces, the bottom is a single piece. The second image is zoomed in to see the detail. Kinda choppy, since I have not seen the file cut I don't know what it really is supposed to look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2010-09-26 at 8.51.31 PM.jpg   Screen shot 2010-09-26 at 8.52.13 PM.jpg  

Tdiaz,

Are you able to post the Gcode or send it to be by email? I did not write the program version with a loader. Switcher has a version posted somewhere in this thread.

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

Looks okay to me

tdiaz,

If you view the part on an angle, you can see the tabs in the design. The forth part from the bottom is acually two parts.
    The design looks okay for the conversion from Gcode to DXF. See attached files.
    I used my new GCode to DXF program that is still being tested.
    Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phlat Flyer ISO View.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wayne Hill

Hmmm.. interesting, and I have the opportunity to do a lot more of these- when do you say this might be ready?

Obviously the tabs are not going to import, though what would be nice to have a way of viewing the GCode with the tool functions omitted, as even when I viewed the original file in Mach3 it still had the tool lines showing as cuts rather than repositioning.

Hmm.. wait a minute though, that implies thats got raised tabs on it, but the phat printer isn't milling down the entire surface of the pieces just to get the raised tabs.

As for the areas of the foam cutting that would be partial if done with the Phlatprinter, if I run the laser over it at a lessor power setting and then drag a fingernail, followed by a small piece of bent music wire through the path I get the same effect that the dremel bit would have done, and with respect to wrapping pieces since what I'm doing forms a "V" rather than a "U" I think it looks nicer from a front view.

Smile Filtering Z values

FYI,

By filtering Z Values on the soon to be released commercial GCodetoDXF program, it is able to remove the tabs.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phlat Flyer ISO View2.JPG  
    Wayne Hill

The new GCODEtoDXF program does not have a DXF viewer. I use my CAD/CAM program.
    Wayne Hill

I can see where there might be tabs if I follow the Gcode, but interesting that I don't get them at all.

Obviously you've got a lot more going on in your application thats brewing.

Tony,

You will not see the raised tabs when viewing the part from the top. The tabs will show up when the angle of the view is rotated.

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

Wayne,

Right, I realize that. At first I thought the jaggy result might have been something else, but I see where that could be the tabs being flattened, too.
    I meant to include a screen shot on the earlier post.

(which is from the one thats not yours)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2010-09-28 at 9.59.56 AM.png  

Tony,

Zoom in on the parts and the tabs will show up in better detail. The jaggy lines are the CAD system trying to draw a line on an angle other than horizontal or vertical.

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

Wayne,

Suddenly this makes more sense, the tabs are partially cut through - but what was throwing me was your graphic display having the tabs pointing up, they are actually pointing down with regard to the tool. The tool is cutting the part out but leaving it connected by cutting only half depth at those locations. Where as the laser cutter would be just the laser turned off.

So, your second example would be the correct way for 2D cutting with retaining the pieces on the frame, and flattening everything like shown in the first graphic you posted.

Tony,

The Gcode is cutting the profile from the top. A Phlatprinter cuts from the bottom. Is the ZAxis inverted on a Phlatprinter? In other words, as the Z axis spindle goes deeper into the part, are the numbers going more in the Z minus direction?

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

The second example is filtering out everything above the bottom profile level.
    w

Quote Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
    Wayne,

Suddenly this makes more sense, the tabs are partially cut through - but what was throwing me was your graphic display having the tabs pointing up, they are actually pointing down with regard to the tool. The tool is cutting the part out but leaving it connected by cutting only half depth at those locations. Where as the laser cutter would be just the laser turned off.

So, your second example would be the correct way for 2D cutting with retaining the pieces on the frame, and flattening everything like shown in the first graphic you posted.
    Wayne Hill

It has to be reverse then, otherwise in order for those tabs to exist it would mean that it's carving off an entire layer of material. With a router bit that would be horribly in-efficient, and produce an awful lot of waste.

Where as if you flip that over and look at it, you can visualize the tab being material left over in the kerf so that the pieces remain connected to the sheet and don't start flying out of the machine when the sheet is slid back and forth.

Tony

where do I go to download the software to convert G-code to DXF? Am I blind?

JorgyCNC,

Welcome to the Zone! Your first post is in my GCode to DXF thread - Thank you !!!

You are not blind. It is not easy to find. My last public domain program is located at:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...g-code_dxf_zip

I am currently working on a new commercial version that has lots of improvments. It also fixes a major bug that is in the public domain program
    Wayne Hill

JorgyCNC
    We welcome you in this forum.. I hope a time will come when you share a lot of good stuff with us...
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Thanks Wayne!!

What should I know about the bug? I'm trying to convert G-code to DXF so I can take a steel cutout file and use it on a wood laser cutter....any thoughts?? PS I'm the designer not the CNC person so I'm completely unversed.

Wayne,

Thanks for the help. Our steel guy is telling us that their file is a sheet file or txt file. This is what we have to convert to DXF file.

Can you help with this?

Thanks again!

Erik

Page 7 of 12 56789