585,715 active members*
3,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Suggestions on Multi-purpase CNC router??

Suggestions on Multi-purpase CNC router??

I'm finishing up my electronics now and looking to begin building my CNC soon. This machine will do wood of course, but I would like to experiment with copper and alum. (PICSTEP, 305oz, etc)

I'm sourcing out routers now and looking for any suggestions. I know a spindle is ideal but I don't want to commit to one until I get over any learning curve. Can anyone suggest a nice router for this use? I am ver comfortable with wood working but this would be my first time with any metals. Will a wood router be able to handle Copper/Alum?

I was looking into the variable speed Bosch or Dewalt. Amazon link Any insight would be appreciated. thanks.

I've read that copper can be very difficult, and requires coolant to cut.

Bosch is a good router. I use all Porter Cables. A lot of guys get the Hitachi, which is much cheaper. The Makita is supposed to be pretty good as well. Never used a Dewalt.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I do have an older Roybi I no longer use. I considered starting with that if there is not much difference in what I want to do with the machine at first.

Maybe I should just start there and see what happens. I guess I will try and make a fully adjustable latch so I can replace if needed.

Great question... as I am also wondering this as well. I am not even close to getting my parts for my build, but would like to know what options there are, as I would like to do maybe aluminum. Model numbers would be helpful for me.
    If you don't like it build it yourself