584,826 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 33 of 34 2331323334

Re: 24" x 80" cut area, 8020 build...

Now I am puzzled. I ran the same gcode 3 times (the one that was loosing so many steps). Once with sherline off and 2 for pw. Was slightly off, maybe 1 mm. Ran same again with screen off, same result. Ran same again with pw 5 and sherline mode, SAME result.

That must be mechanical, but clearly I got rid of almost all of that mechanical issue because it's so much closer and consistent.
    Wood neophyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Now I am puzzled. I ran the same gcode 3 times (the one that was loosing so many steps). Once with sherline off and 2 for pw. Was slightly off, maybe 1 mm. Ran same again with screen off, same result. Ran same again with pw 5 and sherline mode, SAME result.

That must be mechanical, but clearly I got rid of almost all of that mechanical issue because it's so much closer and consistent.

I can relate to your frustration. Since you been running your machine successfully for so long I would rule out Mach settings, although I would keep the PW at 5 like Carveone suggested. When I had my issues's due to the large file bug in Mach3 that shutting display off fixed, my lost steps was very random and on different axis, so I think you can rule that out as well. I think I read in one of your post that your losing the steps on the X axis, at least you have it narrowed down to where to look for mechanical
    problems.

Good Luck,
    Dan

Since you been running your machine successfully for so long I would rule out Mach settings, although I would keep the PW at 5 like Carveone suggested
    +1
    2 is the minimum. 5 gives you a little safety margin, and doesn't affect performance.
    Sherline is only really needed when the machine will not run smoothly at all.

If your running near the edge of your machine's performance capabilities, it doesn't take much to cause lost steps. Lack of lubrication, or even very minimal binding can cause problems.
    I'd even try reducing accel and velocity maybe 10%.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    +1
    2 is the minimum. 5 gives you a little safety margin, and doesn't affect performance.
    Sherline is only really needed when the machine will not run smoothly at all.

If your running near the edge of your machine's performance capabilities, it doesn't take much to cause lost steps. Lack of lubrication, or even very minimal binding can cause problems.
    I'd even try reducing accel and velocity maybe 10%.
    Come to think of it, for each of those tests I had jacked up my drive speeds just so it didn't take as long. Will run one at 'normal' speeds and see how it comes out.
    Wood neophyte.

If your cranking up the Feedrate Override, that can cause problems, especially if you get near 200%. It's best to program for higher feedrates and dial it down.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If your cranking up the Feedrate Override, that can cause problems, especially if you get near 200%. It's best to program for higher feedrates and dial it down.
    In general I always just set the feedrate right when generating the gcode... on occasion i crank it down a little depending on what it is doing. But yeah I have only cranked it up for this testing.
    Wood neophyte.

and when i run the code with 5 pw at normal speed.... works perfectly.
    Wood neophyte.

Yeah, I am tending to think a good bit of it is my old PC. I just placed an order at newegg, mb, memory and case. After investigating a bit it seems modern integrated graphics is fine. I have loads of HDD's sitting around so will be set to load up win xp (why bother with newer if it's just running the cnc and you know it works) and get it all set, and save a lot of space. All in about 140 with shipping, not bad.
    I did the test that Ger21 is recommending (taskbar/cpu performance) and seen the cpu usage was pinned at 100% when gcode file was loaded into Mach. So I just recently upgrade also and found a great deal on ebay and extremely happy with it.

Here's the link.
    Fast Dell Desktop Computer PC Core 2 Duo 3 0GHz 4GB 160GB Windows 7 Pro WiFi | eBay

Well the new tiny pc i am building may not 'fix' any issues, but it will most likely help things run better. And free up a good bit of space in a corner when I get the monitor mounted to the wall and the new pc too.
    Wood neophyte.

Glad to see that your machine is running better now.

I disappeared over the weekend due to getting married. I'll have her sanding and finishing my projects for me in no time. (yeah, good luck with that) ....
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Glad to see that your machine is running better now.

I disappeared over the weekend due to getting married. I'll have her sanding and finishing my projects for me in no time. (yeah, good luck with that) ....
    Got married? Congratulations.

Hey, btw, I will be out that way end of sept, beggining of Oct, if you are around that first weekend in oct maybe I can run out and see what new stuff you have been making.
    Wood neophyte.

Hey arbo what's up? Wish you lived close to me to help me with my machine. I haven't finished yet because of lack of funds. I should finish sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I'll probably be around during that time frame. You're welcome to drop by. The old white and brown double wide you saw a few years ago was replaced early this year with a brand new one. I'll be going to Jim McGrew's Aspire Camp in Columbia, SC May 18 -21. It has been a very busy year so far.
    CarveOne

Jerseydog, how close to complete are you?

CareveOne, yeah, I can't believe it's may already. It's crazy. Will get in touch when I get out there, see if you are around. No doubt I can see some of the stuff you are up to and get inspired.
    Wood neophyte.

Hey arbo I'm working on the cooling system just need 2 more fans to complete enclosure. I posted on my build the enclosure I decided to make. All I need will be to run power to the machine. But so many things have came up that has slowed my progress down.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

CareveOne, yeah, I can't believe it's may already. It's crazy. Will get in touch when I get out there, see if you are around. No doubt I can see some of the stuff you are up to and get inspired.
    All of my projects can be found by searching the vectric.com forums. My latest two Paradise boxes are my most elaborate efforts, but will be delivered to my great neice Zoey and to a lady in Florida named Svetlana. Search by those names and you should be able to find them. I made two different Celtic swords and two versions of a dagger also. I have a Celtic themed battle shield project that hasn't been cut yet, and some cigar box guitars.
    CarveOne

Should get the MB for the new smaller PC tomorrow which means loading up a hd and making sure all works, kinda excited. Hung a monitor on the wall and got a trackball to replace the mouse, so I can have a smaller footprint for the computer area. Am wondering about those smoothsteppers and if it's worth the 200 bucks if everything else works fine already, and if it's just a plug and play into the g540.
    Wood neophyte.

So much info, and so much that contradicts. I guess I can run win 7 32 bit on the new machine, and have mach 3 work fine with the PP. If I want to do the ESS, that would work on it, but would probably want to go to win 7 64 bit.

I found this 'dry' lube today while tooling around home depot. I know some people talking about lubricating different parts, but all that I have ever found is 'wet' lube, and with all the dust this creates, to me, that's just a recipe for disaster.

Figured I'd give it a shot. My 'shop' is small so I have glued and painted on the x rails of my machine just due to a lack of space. So I went over them with some fine sandpaper to clean off all the gunk, then used this stuff I found. It goes on, then as it dries leaves a residue. I simply wiped that off, and man, those rails are smooth. Think I am gonna go through the machine today after some more cleaning out there, replace bearings where needed, and hit up all my cold rolled with this stuff. Maybe even my threaded rod, not sure about that yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blasterlube.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

So much info, and so much that contradicts. I guess I can run win 7 32 bit on the new machine, and have mach 3 work fine with the PP. If I want to do the ESS, that would work on it, but would probably want to go to win 7 64 bit.
    It's pretty simple, really.
    Mach3 will run on any OS from XP forward. You can use a motion controller with any OS.
    If you want to use the parallel port, you can only use 32 bit versions of XP, Vista, or 7.

As far as how well Mach3 runs with the parallel port, it can vary greatly from PC to PC. Newer PC's actually appear to be more problematic, but I don't have any personal experience. I'm still running a Pentium III.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Yeah I am setting up the new one, went with win7 32 bit. Figure that way I can keep with the PP, and add a ESS down the road. Just got it loaded, copying stuff to usb to take over and install now, like mach 3 and my backup license and xml. will see how it works.
    Wood neophyte.

Page 33 of 34 2331323334