584,833 active members*
5,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 32 of 34 223031323334

Re: 24" x 80" cut area, 8020 build...

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    There is a setting for pulse width in the Mach3 software that has a wider pulse width option. Try changing it, saving it, then restart Mach3. See if that works. Use some blue thread locker on the set screw if you haven't done that already.
    I didn't find that, but I noticed in motor tuning that x and a were slightly different. Fixed that but didn't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    I had same problem missing steps, and all started when using 1/16 ballnose with large a stepover. I fixed by shutting toolpath display off in Mach3. Easy test, maybe worth a try.
    with a large stepover? that seems strange... how do you shut the toolpath display off?
    Wood neophyte.

Mach 3 with large Gcode files can cause inconsistent problems resulting in lost steps. With a 1/16 bit with large stepover can produce a lot of lines of gcode and thought possibly this could be your problem. I spent days trouble shooting and turned out just shutting off display was the simple fix.

I use 2010 screenset and there's a button on top of screen. Not sure for other screensets.

Good luck
    Dan

I use 2010 as well.

I changed the step pulse from 2 to 3 ... just to see... ran test two times with 1/8 bn and both times x0y0 stayed where it should (previously even 1/8th was losing steps) (10% stepover) ... So either just two lucky runs or that might fix it, have a long day of work tomorrow but will try the test again set for 1/16 bn and see how it goes.

Thanks.

BTW, anyone use that Leadshine MX4660 instead of the G540? Is it really that much better to warrant the price difference?
    Wood neophyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    I didn't find that, but I noticed in motor tuning that x and a were slightly different. Fixed that but didn't make a difference.

with a large stepover? that seems strange... how do you shut the toolpath display off?
    Mach3 standard screen set > Config > Motor Tuning > Step Pulse > 1 to 5 microseconds - try setting it for 5 microseconds if it is set for a lower value..
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Mach3 standard screen set > Config > Motor Tuning > Step Pulse > 1 to 5 microseconds - try setting it for 5 microseconds if it is set for a lower value..
    Yeah was set to 2, changed to 3 and it made a difference. Not sure exactly what that does, but guessing perhaps my computer is getting to where it can't keep up with the lower number? Dunno, Will shift it to 5 as well and see what happens when I get home from work today.
    Wood neophyte.

The wider pulse shape probably gives the motors a squarer pulse shape in some cabling capacitance situations and pumps a little more energy into the motors to help give them a little harder "kick" while rotating.
    CarveOne

The wider pulse shape probably gives the motors a squarer pulse shape in some cabling capacitance situations and pumps a little more energy into the motors to help give them a little harder "kick" while rotating.
    Hi CarveOne,

Looks like raising this setting would give a more stable system regardless of having troubles or not. Do you know of any cons if any?

With a quick google search I found a thread on it with some info, I copied and pasted a section Arbo may find interesting

Quote Originally Posted by dfro
    You said earlier in this thread that the base step/dir pulse is 3 usec. The Gecko drive literature says that it needs a minimum 4 usec pulse width on one of the step pulse edges. If people are putting opto-bobs with opto-Geckos, I imagine problems with pulses not making it to the driver chips (and a lot of hair being torn out of a lot of heads). This could be clearly explained at 4.4.3 in the manual where you talk about opto-isolation or "5.2.3 Defining Special Features" (In fact this section defines nothing)..
    This was posted 2007 don't know what changes been made since than.

Here's the link to thread.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...ge;topic=939.0

Just checked my settings and are already set to 5, I guess its the default setting for newer versions of Mach3.

Thanks CarveOne, love this hobby/forum, always something new to learn.

I looked at the Mach3 settings for my smaller 3' x 4' machine with G540 driver and it is set for 4 microseconds. If the issue is in the opto interface requirements, the end result will be still be that the motors are getting more recognizable pulses and they don't miss any steps.
    CarveOne

Am home now so will set to 4 and re-run the tests with 1/8 and 1/16 bn bits. Interesting though that if mine has been set to 2 since I built it, and never had this problem. Will let you know how it goes.
    Wood neophyte.

A couple quick tests done with the setting change, seems good. Running a longer one now (1/16 with 10% stepover, for about 9 inches)... if that passes, I will call it good. Now I'm thinking perhaps it's time to back up the HD on that machine, and swap out that PC with a newer one I have, The old one has been running out there dust covered for 7 years, and on occasion has issues starting up. Would be cool if one could find a nice little pc, small footprint, that had a db25 parallel port, rather than using these whole towers I have... save a little space and all. Oh, find that for a small amount of money, should of added that. Maybe hang the monitor on the wall as well and can get rid of some of my 'desk' space I have... just enough for keyboard and mouse.
    Wood neophyte.

Good to hear it is working so far.
    CarveOne

It seems to work on the normal cutting. I have two pieces that match exactly for the finishing pass.. but hole cutouts and piece cutout are slightly off. Seems it goes to a rapid to move once done the finishing, so maybe steps are being lost in that rapid. Just finally found the config for the sherline mode, so running that to see what happens. Very frustrating when you actually want to use the machine but don't want to waste material.
    Wood neophyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    It seems to work on the normal cutting. I have two pieces that match exactly for the finishing pass.. but hole cutouts and piece cutout are slightly off. Seems it goes to a rapid to move once done the finishing, so maybe steps are being lost in that rapid. Just finally found the config for the sherline mode, so running that to see what happens. Very frustrating when you actually want to use the machine but don't want to waste material.
    Is this the same file that you first started losing steps with?
    How many lines of Gcode in file? Over 100,000?

I made a test one, that is basically a rectangle pocket, about 3 inches (in y) by 10 inches (in x) .. set for 1/16 bit with 10% stepover. Not sure the number of lines, will check, but I often do huge gcode files with way more than 100k lines. If that test works, will add some rapids to the end of it and see if that is what caused it (or if shirline mode fixed it).
    Wood neophyte.

Sherline mode, I believe, basically sets the pulse width to 40us. Generally, if you need to use Sherline mode, then the issue is with your PC.
    Also be aware that with sherline mode, your maximum pulse rate is effectively cut in half, and may limit your speed. (IIRC)
    But sometimes issues like this can be very difficult to diagnose, and many things can cause problems.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yeah, I am tending to think a good bit of it is my old PC. I just placed an order at newegg, mb, memory and case. After investigating a bit it seems modern integrated graphics is fine. I have loads of HDD's sitting around so will be set to load up win xp (why bother with newer if it's just running the cnc and you know it works) and get it all set, and save a lot of space. All in about 140 with shipping, not bad.
    Wood neophyte.

Can you please amuse me and try turning toolpath display off and try? The black and white square icon on top of screen.

Another thing is to open task manager and monitor your CPU usage while cutting. If it gets near 100%, then you'll likely have problems.

The 2010 Screenset, due to the larger toolpath, can actually be much resource intensive than the default screen. I've had 2-3 user that needed a new (different) PC to run it, even though they ran the default screen just fine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    Can you please amuse me and try turning toolpath display off and try? The black and white square icon on top of screen.
    I turned off sherline and went back to a 2 for pulse and tested, didn't mess up. Gonna take out one of the cut files that did and run that with screen on, see if it jacks up, then with screen off.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Another thing is to open task manager and monitor your CPU usage while cutting. If it gets near 100%, then you'll likely have problems.

The 2010 Screenset, due to the larger toolpath, can actually be much resource intensive than the default screen. I've had 2-3 user that needed a new (different) PC to run it, even though they ran the default screen just fine.
    Well I have a new faster one on the way. Just seems odd this just started occurring. No settings changed, nothing changed. That's what leads me to think it's in old electronics.
    Wood neophyte.

Page 32 of 34 223031323334