585,754 active members*
3,823 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with Dyna Myte 2800 Conversion

Hello everyone.

I am in the process of converting an Dyna Myte 2800 to a PC based control. However, I have run into a stumbling block with controlling the spindle speed.

Some background on this machine. The spindle motor is a .75kW brush-less DC motor. The motor is powered by a servo amplifier made by Servo Dynamics. This amplifier is in turn controlled by a digital to analog converter board. Spindle speed is set using a potentiometer on the control panel and an encoder on the spindle displays the speed in an LCD. The stock motor is not reversible.

While probing inside the control cabinet with a multi-meter, I crossed the probes and burned up a capacitor and a small integrated circuit in the D/A conversion board. I now have no spindle control.

I am using the CNC4PC C11G breakout board. This board has a 0-10V variable output to control a VFD. I was hoping to substitute the existing spindle speed potentiometer with the output from the breakout board. I still think this is the correct method.

The potentiometer is connected to the D/A converter board which is now not working. I cannot operate the spindle currently. I am trying to understand how the D/A works and if it is necessary to get the spindle working. I should be able to replicate the input needed to get the spindle amplifier working. I do not have a wiring diagram for the spindle amp.

I have attached the wiring diagram from the machine manual. I also have included the current connections to the servo amp (bottom of the page). I am hoping that I can eliminate the D/A board and connect up directly to the amp because I doubt a replacement D/A board is available. I am not sure how to do this without causing further damage.

I can't figure out if the "speed pulse" wire or the "VO" wire are the speed control signal. The D/A board also has an input from an encoder on the spindle, but I have no idea how it uses it

I appreciate any help anyone could give me with this issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Names 006.jpg   Mill Board 001.jpg   Mill Board 003.jpg   scan0001.jpg  

scan0002.jpg  

Question

UWP_Wes,

What is the model number of the Servo Dynamics amp?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Sorry, the amp (and motor) is an Electro-craft.

Model - 170V
    Serial # - H000993
    Type - BRU-50
    Part # - 9090-0541

Are the connections marked on the servo amp?

Can you post a picture?
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

First pic is the control cabinet as a whole. Second is the amp. You can see there is no cover (maybe for better cooling?). The connections at the bottom correspond the the last diagram in my first post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill Board 004.jpg   Mill Board 005.jpg  

Question

I cant tell which connections on the amp are the -10 +10