585,908 active members*
3,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 5th axis option for fadal 3016?

5th axis option for fadal 3016?

i have a part that needs some holes drilled in the perimeter and i'm looking to pick up a 4th axis. someone mentioned to me that there might be a rotary table out there that has 5 axis positioning. i need to be able to tilt the axis 45° to drill the last set of 4 holes and would really like to not have to resetup in another op.

Unless you have the drives already installed,
    get one of these
    http://www.haascnc.com/rotary_Model_...TrunnionTables

and get the servo/control box for it
    http://www.haascnc.com/rotary_Model_servo.asp#servo

then you can use it on any machine in the shop including a hand mill

For one job just tilt the 4th axis rotary if possible. 45 degrees is alot of tilt and the rotary would like that angle for long periods of time. You can retrofit your machine to use a 5 axis table from most mfgs. Waht year machine do you have. If it was pre 1997 then you can only use DC rotaries. This will limit your selection. For pre 1997 you need a 1010-4 (-5 or -6) with the right eeproms on it and a extra axis amp. Thats just for 4th axis for 5th you ned the same cards for a B axis and an extra amp chassis (this is for a DC machine). If you need cards check ebay send me a pm we do have extras sometimes.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Smile

You could also consider an independant automatic drilling head positioned to use with the 4th and m-coded through a relay. That is if you have the room and need only one drill size... I see them, at times, for sale used on Ebay ect...
    Steve

not really looking for an independent drilling head, but i do remember seeing a cat 40 tool holder that would mount a drill or end mill at a particular angle. is that what your referring too? if so do you have any part numbers or a brand?

Unless the 3016 machine has an extended column, I seriously doubt that you could use a 5 axis head. The working envelope in X,Y,an Z will be too restrictive. Even with an extended column, this would be a LARGE stretch to accomplish.

Neal

Hello Runner4404SPD

Yes some rotary table with adding 4th and 5th axis does exists. I would recommand you a table that offer in axis rotation (I mean for the tilt table) because it will give you more possiblity in the time.

you may find information on this site :
    http://www.allytech.eu/index_fichiers/RotaryTable.htm

If you have to make a lot of rotation change I would suggest a direct drive solution (using torque motor), but in case of drilling in perimeter if you like precision you may get a worm geared drive. they are able to make a rotary table with a 3" arc second repeatabilty.

If you look for high dimension, they say they can do up to 6 meter table (with tilt). Hope this help.

Clem

Try this, not what I've seen in the pass on Ebay ect. but close.
    http://www.autodrill.com/products.htm
    Without knowing where the hole features are, it's hard to tell if one of these or this type will work for you. If it will, and you have the room to position it, you just mount it on the table in the right position. And...as I said, an M code and a relay and away you go!:banana:
    Steve
    Anyway...its a thought.

Hey bud did you get your 5th up or looked into it further?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

5 axis head

I bought this 5 axis manual head from zystech.com. Its has changed my world. I can cut anything now
    It came with:
    -3hp water cooled spindle and programed VFD
    -Spindle holder (awsome quality!)
    -5 axis head (awsome quality!)
    -10"oal x 1/2" ball mill
    -point of refferance
    $3500 plus s/h
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zystech-5-axis-head-combo.gif  

Why do I need a login and password to even look at the zystech.com site?

...is it SECRET tools for big ideas?

we ended up going with just the 4th axis option and will make a mounting plate to mount the rotary at 45° to finish the last 4 holes on each part. we ultimately only have 450 parts to run and really its just a drilling op in various posistions.

Fizzissit - I thought that was odd also, so I didn't bother. Hard way to sell a product.(nuts)
    Steve

Speaking of 5th axis on a Fadal...Here's an interesting little tidbit where someone put a lot of work into multi-axis machining theory, using a 5th axis equipped Fadal 4020.

http://210.125.130.17/oversea/96_NQ22247.PDF

Am I a wuss? Yes. I'm going to let Mastercam do the math for me. :cheers: