585,906 active members*
3,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking Cost of a CNC Mini Mill?

Hey all! I am looking to purchase a CNC Mini Mill. I want to get one that it ready to go out of the box. I don't want to build one or convert one. It will primarily be used for engraving. Anybody got any suggestions?
    Rick Merrill
    SSG U.S. Army
    11B3V
    USAMU Custom Firearms Shop

There are several Retrofit manufacturer that will sell you
    a completed Mini Mill Cnc, I belive the avarage price is
    around $2500.-.
    It is best to compare some of the competing deisgns the
    cheapest buy is not always the best deal.
    Good Luck

Not really to worried about the cost. But I need a full 3 axis setup. MSC and others list a 2 axis machine for around $9500.
    Rick Merrill
    SSG U.S. Army
    11B3V

I have been aggressively searching for a fairly robust "mini-mill" capable of light production work and this appears to be the best of the low cost mini machines (that I have found anyway).

link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...500649323&rd=1

I have skills using manual lathes, manual turret lathes, manual bridgeport machines, *OLD* supermax systems and new "state of the art" vertical machining centers to create small production runs of parts (like 20-50 pieces). It is my current ambition in life to start a small parts manufacturing business to make money producing parts and to have the equipment needed to make my own parts using low cost machines as a means to "enter" into this type of business. I know it can be done and wont be easy as finding work for a machine and my current location in the US seem to be the greatest limiting factor unfortunately. Only time and research will tell what I'll be capable of doing.

Anyway I am open to all comments about getting into small parts manufacturing and will be curious to hear about any experience other people have had with small bedmills like that one I've linked to on E-Bay. If what the seller / builder (seller claims to be the bulder) of the machine states is all true its a superb and powerful mini system for someone getting started with CNC milling. Although if $$ and available work were not so much of a concern starting with a small machine without ATC capability would not be wise but thats just my 2 cents worth.

Small production parts

I, too, am looking to get into the small run production business. I am looking for something a little smaller than the one on Ebay. I want to be able to load it into a box trailer and take it on the road. Do parts at variuos events, bike week, gun shows, ect.... Lots of money to be made out there if you can be versatile.......
    Rick Merrill
    SSG U.S. Army
    11B3V

Wow, it seems like Im not the only one wanting to get into small production runs with a fairly good quality inexpensive 4 axis mini mill. I will be checking this forum every day. It is great having such a site where us newbys can learn from the community. John.