584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    thanks gentlemen. i ran it for another 10 hours today and temperatures seemed to level off about 140. cuts were a little lighter today. i would like to see it a little cooler, but as you mentioned cruiser it is still breaking in. i have a thermocouple on it and am monitoring closely.

to my knowledge you're correct bob. 160 degrees is the warmest i would ever run a bearing. as for where and which textbooks say that i can't remember. it's been a long time since i finished my mechanical engineering degree ;-)
    dad used to say... "once is ignorance. the second time you're stupid!"

Loadedagain,

Using the hockey puck isolators, how do you level the mill?

Can you keep the mill from walking across the enclosure?

I'm getting ready to build an enclosure for my CNCed X3 and was planning on having a flat bottom on the bottom side where it sits on a workbench and countour (slope) the inside base with plywood and then fiberglass the inside maybe two layers of 6 ounce fabric.

Thanks,

Paul

i'm not following you... it's bolted down so it doesn't walk anywhere!

Extremely well done control cabinet. You should be VERY proud of your work!!!!

RWW

thanks for the compliment mate. was a bit of effort to get it the way it is, but i'm quite pleased with the result.

now for hockey pucks! a picture is worth a thousand words! i used a hole saw on the plywood base... 2" i think. the pucks are 3/4" so they sit 1/4" proud from the base. i then drilled 3/4" holes in them for the studs and mounted the mill to the steel base like you would normally.

oh yeah. to seal everything i squirted a bunch of silicone around, then fiberglassed the pucks into the base

while i'm at it here's a pic today of the setup. my *huge* 8" vise seems to fit ok and everything else is holding up well so far. haven't had any difficulties with the machine at all once the motors were tuned properly. i have about 0.004" backlash in one ballscrew, but i'll take it our and reset the preload when i get a chance. i can't say enough about the mill. if you're prepped well and do the cnc conversion correctly it's a very cost effective and reliable machine.

and here is a shot of the parts i ran through yesterday. still a couple ops to do today, then off to the annodizer.

Re: loady builds a cnc machine

Very nice enclosure and set up

I've been looking for enclosure ideas. This is a very nice enclosure however my personal concerns are if I ever want to do something manually or need to access the machine for repairs. My largest bench mill is 1300lbs and has pedastels locking it in place on the base chip stand so sliding it around is never happening if I need to access anything. I'm thinking I may have to go with something using an extruded frame and removable panels. I've seen some with tub surround material however I wonder if that wouldn't vibrate quite a bit as you mention with sheet metal. I need to build 3 enclosures for 3 machines so the task is ahead of me. There is a company making them for $1,000 each. I'd like to make all 3 for that budget but I am doubting it is even possible to buy the materials I would want to use for them. Perhaps for my schedule I may just have them build me glass cabinets. Very nice CNC cabinet it looks top notch. How has it held up over the past few years to coolant and that water hose you use to clean it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedagain View Post
    hi all.

i've been about here for a while, but don't post too often so i had better re-introduce myself. my name is colin. mechanical engineer during the day, car racer/make stuff/get into trouble the rest of the time.

i bought an industrial hobbies mill and cnc conversion from aaron a few years back. since i have a bridgeport also i took my time putting it together... how long ago did he sell the biz?... that's time taking. recently i decided i had better finish it, or sell it.... so finish it i will.

here's the setup stuffed into the corner of my shop

i built the enclosure out of wood and laminated it with fiberglass and white gel coat. was going to do a sheetmetal enclosure, but hear tales of big noise and vibration. the doors are not hung yet, but they are wood also with plexi windows so i can see my machine crash.

the control box off to the left is below:

the control panel has 2 campbel breakout boards and relay panel as well as the gekos and a little plc i'm using to control all the odds and ends.

it's a work in progress so i apologize for the messy wiring. i'll get it all sorted out pdq. if you see anything that seems fishy please point it out. i'm doing my best to not blow things up, but i'm pretty sure some magic smoke will get out.

Page 2 of 2 12