586,011 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC career for an older guy...

Hello, I am a displaced Pre-press worker from Arizona and am doing some career exploration. I am 48 years old, good with tools and my hands.
    I am considering a new career as a CNC machinist but am wondering how long the learning curve and if apprentice opportunities are realistic for an older guy like me. Regards, Ted G.

Hi Ted,
    I don't know what of schools are in your area, but a local technical college/votec should be able to give you some basic foundation to build upon. In the area where I live entry-level jobs as a machinist are virtually non-existent, so knowing someone local to you will really help get your foot in the door. Are you sure you don't want to be an electrician or plumber? House repair is really hard to export to China or Dubai, unlike machining services.
    Later,
    Charlie

Ted go for it I am 48 years old been in the trade for 25 years learn something new everyday if you injoy machine work do it ,life is to short try getting a job working in a machine shop and show your coworkers that you want to learn it may take a few jobs to find the right one for you but you should land on you feet every time nobody is getting in this line of work anymore the trade needs you