585,970 active members*
4,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mastercam or Powerlmill ?

Hi guys,
    I have 2 choices for CAD/CAM software to choose from and I really don't know which to go for, the choices are Mastercam X4 or the latest version of Powermill. My application are 5 axis machining and also Robot machining. what would you suggest?

Why can you only choose between these two systems??? First of all I think you are comparing an apple to a banana, if you ask me.

My system would be Edgecam combined with Spaceclaim because it will do all your 2D, 3D, solid surface and wireframe machining upto 5-ais simultaneous machining remaining fully associative to any CAD system/file you use. This is combined with a unrivalled easy to use userinterface for both Edgecam as well as Spaceclaim. With Spaqceclaim you can edit 3d models dynamicly from anyt file format or cad system. This is handy when you need to adjust models to fit tolerances, or if you need to edit/fix some faces or maybe cap some holes because of machining methods you want to use.

best of luck choosen a system

Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by happytriger2000 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have 2 choices for CAD/CAM software to choose from and I really don't know which to go for, the choices are Mastercam X4 or the latest version of Powermill. My application are 5 axis machining and also Robot machining. what would you suggest?
    LOL, this is always a loaded question.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Why can you only choose between these two systems??? First of all I think you are comparing an apple to a banana, if you ask me.

My system would be Edgecam combined with Spaceclaim because it will do all your 2D, 3D, solid surface and wireframe machining upto 5-ais simultaneous machining remaining fully associative to any CAD system/file you use. This is combined with a unrivalled easy to use userinterface for both Edgecam as well as Spaceclaim. With Spaqceclaim you can edit 3d models dynamicly from anyt file format or cad system. This is handy when you need to adjust models to fit tolerances, or if you need to edit/fix some faces or maybe cap some holes because of machining methods you want to use.

best of luck choosen a system

Jasper
    Hello Jasper,
    "Edgecam combined with Spaceclaim because it will do all your 2D, 3D, solid surface and wireframe machining upto 5-ais simultaneous machining", does this mean Edgecam and Spaceclaim is compatible with Industrial Robot for robot milling?, I have a Kuka KR-150 and I want to do 3d model milling with it, currently my choices are:

* Powermill + Camrob
    * Mastercam + Robotmaster
    * Edgecam + Spaceclaim

Will contact Spcaeclaim for more details,

THX

Hello Jasper,
    "Edgecam combined with Spaceclaim because it will do all your 2D, 3D, solid surface and wireframe machining upto 5-ais simultaneous machining", does this mean Edgecam and Spaceclaim is compatible with Industrial Robot for robot milling?, I have a Kuka KR-150 and I want to do 3d model milling with it, currently my choices are:

* Powermill + Camrob
    * Mastercam + Robotmaster
    * Edgecam + Spaceclaim

Will contact Spcaeclaim for more details,

THX
    You should also get quotes from each one.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    You should also get quotes from each one.
    Yes I have, apart from Edgecam + Spaceclaim.

Hi

Spaceclaim can be used in conjunction to any CAM system, it is a CAD neutral modeling system to edit models or create models from scratch, The power is unbelievable just check their website to download a 30 day full functional free trial.

As far as Edgecam is concerned I believe the compatibility with robot machining is a postprocessors issue/challenge. I think you should be able to drive the robotg with any CAM system with a good postprocessor toolkit. The only thing to keep in mind in this is to see how good is the VAR that is supplying you the CAM system, because if the post is not working, the system is worthless.

I just looked at the robotmaster website and that looks really impressive! I think what it does it takes a standard mastercam NC output file and converts it to a robot programme and does the simulation etc. Maybe it will also work with other cam systems? I don't know...

Hope this helps and good luck finding the right solution.

Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Hi

Spaceclaim can be used in conjunction to any CAM system, it is a CAD neutral modeling system to edit models or create models from scratch, The power is unbelievable just check their website to download a 30 day full functional free trial.

As far as Edgecam is concerned I believe the compatibility with robot machining is a postprocessors issue/challenge. I think you should be able to drive the robotg with any CAM system with a good postprocessor toolkit. The only thing to keep in mind in this is to see how good is the VAR that is supplying you the CAM system, because if the post is not working, the system is worthless.

I just looked at the robotmaster website and that looks really impressive! I think what it does it takes a standard mastercam NC output file and converts it to a robot programme and does the simulation etc. Maybe it will also work with other cam systems? I don't know...

Hope this helps and good luck finding the right solution.

Jasper
    Jasper,
    " Maybe it will also work with other cam systems? I don't know..." I asked and the answer is only for Mastercam, unless you use Camrob which accept any cam software. I found another supplier called Robocam, waiting for their answer.

I think it's common knowlegde that powermill is among the high-end leaders. Horses for courses and all that. By concidence I was watching some vids on Delcam.tv today;

http://www.delcam.tv/

Check out the Garner Holt video of a Kuka robot in action. They're not working to any particular accuracy though (evident just past halfway when the first cut nearly snaps Donkey's head off ).

Obviously they're going to show customers spouting greatness about their products, but I can certainly vouch for Delcam's support having been a user and a customer for over 10 years.

Where in the UK are you?

Quote Originally Posted by CADMatt View Post
    I think it's common knowlegde that powermill is among the high-end leaders. Horses for courses and all that. By concidence I was watching some vids on Delcam.tv today;

http://www.delcam.tv/

Check out the Garner Holt video of a Kuka robot in action. They're not working to any particular accuracy though (evident just past halfway when the first cut nearly snaps Donkey's head off ).

Obviously they're going to show customers spouting greatness about their products, but I can certainly vouch for Delcam's support having been a user and a customer for over 10 years.

Where in the UK are you?
    Hello Cadmatt,
    North west London, Harrow-on-the-hill, but currently I'm in Asia. Yes I know Powermill is a great software but too expensive (£22,000 ~ £27,000) for me, and I also heard that there's something that powermill is capable of where Mastercam can not. I'm not sure if it's true, Powermill can run 5 axis simultaneously in less time, compare to Mastercam???

North west London, Harrow-on-the-hill, but currently I'm in Asia.
    The reason I asked is that I could probably be the cheapest consultant you could wish for as I'd kill for some seven axis & robot machining experience

The reason I asked is that I could probably be the cheapest consultant you could wish for as I'd kill for some seven axis & robot machining experience
    Hello Cadmatt,
    Tell a bit about you, what machine do you have and what software do you use?.

I'm currently working as a freelance (cad designer). I've been CNC'ing over 20 years (up to 7 axis under manual programming), CAD/CAM'ing since 1998 (mostly powershape & powermill).
    I've been 3d games & simulation programming for over 10 years in my spare time too so I know plenty about 3d coordinate systems. I did a bit of a 5 axis simulator many moons ago, and currently in my spare time I'm having a go at CAM software programming.
    I'm screwed at the minute. There's no cnc/cad/cam jobs around and if there was I wouldn't need one because I'd be getting plenty of cad work anyway :violin:

I'm currently working as a freelance (cad designer). I've been CNC'ing over 20 years (up to 7 axis under manual programming), CAD/CAM'ing since 1998 (mostly powershape & powermill).
    I've been 3d games & simulation programming for over 10 years in my spare time too so I know plenty about 3d coordinate systems. I did a bit of a 5 axis simulator many moons ago, and currently in my spare time I'm having a go at CAM software programming.
    I'm screwed at the minute. There's no cnc/cad/cam jobs around and if there was I wouldn't need one because I'd be getting plenty of cad work anyway :violin:

Hey Cadmatt,
    Very Impressive, but why freelance, you should be working in a big company.
    I'm not an expert in CAd/CAM, still learning, but very interested in Induastrial Robot Machinning, and I wish one day my workshop will become a fully automated machineshop, where no Man needed to be in the workshop to control anything, all remotelty controlled via internet.
    WOW...3d games & simulation programming, so does that mean you know how to design a game programme? like Sony Playstation games?. I had this Idea a while ago was to create a kit of Game interactive Seats, same as those Racing Game in Arcade shop, but in your own house, interested in this project?
    Is the price for Powermill in Uk the same as any other country?, would anyone who own the latest Powermill be kind enough to share their answer?.
    I bought a Used Milling machine and I want to convert it to 5 axis cnc machine, any thing I should be aware of?