584,837 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Floppy drive hack?

Does anyone know of something I could replace the floppy drive with so I'd have more memory potential. Optimally, I'd like to use a USB stick and then DNC off of that.

I know I can DNC from another computer and trickle feed, but I'd rather not have to do that.

We have a VF zero and VF2 that are around 7 years old.

Why do CNC machines have to be such a pain in the ass when it comes to memory. They should all come with a gazillion gigs of memory. My frickin phone has 32 gigs. Come on now.

Thanks

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Looks perfect, thanks Hu!

Boss is ordering one today.

JW

Nice link HFD. I'ma try one in my Fadal. Many thanks.

John,
    Let us know how it works for you. I've wondered how the Haas would handle files that are bigger than should logically fit on a floppy drive, and whether you'd have to break them down or not.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Haas

Yes, that would be really nice if it would work with the older HAAS equipment with the 3.5 floppy drives.

I would also be interested in feedback from anyone that tries it on HAAS equipment.

I have recently looked at some older HAAS CNC lathes with the 3.5 floppy drives. I like the USB port on my 2007 HAAS TM-1P and this upgrade path would be nice if it works.

John

Here's another one calmotion

We investigated for an Okuma machine, but found it was not suitable ( still had to purchace the DNC option for the machine )

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Got it installed today and to my surprise, it worked perfectly without ANY messing around. I loaded a program just like I would off a floppy, no problem. I also DNC'ed and it worked just like it should. I didn't get a chance to try DNC-ing a large file yet. I think it will work since the control works it's way through the code while only buffering a small portion. Just like using RS232

Thanks Hu!

(Instruction on how to DNC from the floppy are in the manual.)

Its good to know it worked out okay.

When i read the instructions for that unit, it specifically said you cannot exceed 1.44mb for a folder to emulate as a floppy. If you can actually DNC from a larger than 1.44mb file, please post a reply! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xiondavis View Post
    When i read the instructions for that unit, it specifically said you cannot exceed 1.44mb for a folder to emulate as a floppy. If you can actually DNC from a larger than 1.44mb file, please post a reply! thanks!
    I remember reading that too and it must be why I can't DNC the 4 meg file I just tested.

Still better than using retarded floppies. Way faster.

JW

I've had zero experience with doing the DNC on the Haas so I don't know what is legal and what isn't. But could you write sub program calls in a main program on the control and somehow have it jump to various folders on the floppy, supposing that each folder has 1.44 megs worth of a much larger program that you split up?

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    I've had zero experience with doing the DNC on the Haas so I don't know what is legal and what isn't. But could you write sub program calls in a main program on the control and somehow have it jump to various folders on the floppy, supposing that each folder has 1.44 megs worth of a much larger program that you split up?
    Interesting idea hu. That may very well work. Would be a pain break up a program and sub it out. I think I'd rather just Dnc off another computer.

Silly that we need to do any of this crap. CNC has to stay about 20 years behind current tech. Rs232 should be illegal. Invented in about 1960. We have around 2 megs of memory in our haas, give me a break, should be gigs.

Thanks,
    JW

i don't remember reading if anyone tried and tested on a HAAS CNC? i have 2 vf-4's that i would desperately love to upgrade. half the time the floppies don't work

Quote Originally Posted by Ford25 View Post
    i don't remember reading if anyone tried and tested on a HAAS CNC? i have 2 vf-4's that i would desperately love to upgrade. half the time the floppies don't work

Yes, I tested it on my Haas and it works perfectly. Only thing I couldn't do was DNC a large file. Pop in the usb stick and it acts just like a floppy, no difference.

Got mine yesterday and installed. Worked fine after i turned the ribbon cable over (thanks for the help on that John). Loads and downloads files exactly as floppy.

And I installed it on a 1997 VF2

Im surprised the koreans or chinese dont have something similar out for $29

The drive adapter IS chinese. I'm sure that the only reason its not $29 is lack of demand, gotta make some money somewhere - probably costs $13 in materials.

Page 1 of 2 12