584,826 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle won't turn on

I just bought a Series I Boss 5. I am running the unit on a VFD, I can get the table to move. I haven't tried to run any programs yet. When I turn the spindle on, my VFD trips. I did see the machine run under 3 phase power. I see the air brake cylinder move, but I am not sure where to start. Another question is how to I get a program into the Boss 5, I have the serial connector and cable already.

The machine will or rather should do a rapid move without the spindle on.
    It will not do a feed rate move unless the control sees that the spindle is on. On a stock machine, there are auxiliary switches on the spindle forward/reverse contactors to tell the control that the spindle is ON.
    T2 is a three phase transformer and powers the axis drives.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George, I can get the machine to do a rapid move and to return to home. As soon as I try to turn on the spindle my VFD trips, is my air brake stuck? If I turn off the air brake, can I turn the spindle by hand? Maybe in the move my motor got locked up? Thanks, Ron

If the air brake is off, the spindle will turn by hand. Disable it and see if the VFD still trips.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am using the VFD to supply 3 phase power to the complete unit, I wasn't sure if I made that clear. I was doing some reading on the Yahoo site and someone else was going to try to power their Boss with a VFD and it was recommended not to do this. Do I need to use a static phase convertor or will the machine be able to run on a VFD?

OK I found my problem, I disconnected the motor and the VFD doesn't trip. I tried to enter a single line of code and then the motor starter started to smoke. There is a loud high pitch electric noise, similiar to the sound in high voltage wires coming from the top half of the motor starter.