585,962 active members*
3,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Trying to program a SPI 2011 frame

Trying to program a SPI 2011 frame

I downloaded the file from cncguns and I dont know alot about mastercam as im still learning and I cant seam to do anything but just look at it. Cant place zero it just sticks it out in space. What am I doing wrong?

Anyone?

What version Mcam do you have ?
    ( let's us know where to point you )

At what experience level are you at ?
    Do you know your way around Mcam, areas, dialog screens, terms that are used in Mcam, mouse use, short-cut keys(Alt-F1, Alt-S etc), etc ?
    ( this is a good place to start - try to learm the system )
    ( look up the help files, especially "getting started" )
    ( sample files should have been installed, if not, they are on the disk. These are used in conjunction with teaching exercises, they are also a good reference to creating toolpaths)

computer literate y/n ?
    ( How basic our explainations have to be to guide you )

This file you downloaded, does it have toopaths with it ?

Just remember--you have to walk before you can fly, so don't expect big things to happen in the eary stages. Certain items may be a little hard to grasp and may need special attention ie the WCS and plane views, multiple set-ups, origin shifts are stumbling blocks for many

Version 9 is what im using and I guess im at a basic level. I mean Ive programed parts at work for the mill I run but nothing really complicated like 3d conturing. I know my way around the dialog screen and can draw and program a part from scratch but this file I cant do anything with. To give an Idea the ar15 receiver in my avatar is 10 separate pieces that programed but its been about four months since I last programmed anything (Laid off) so I think I have forgot a lot. The file doesn't have tool paths, its just a wire frame drawing.

The simpest way to start off programming is to position the part, relative to the datum ( F9 to turn the datum lines ON/OFF --- brown lines = original sysem origin, light blues = new "local" datum origin )( you shouldn't have any blue )

Use the TOP, FRONT and LEFT construction icons [green] in the top toolbar ( not the view icons [blue] ) to quickly set construction planes.

Many would set the TOP face as Z0 ( on the machine we set the datum below the top face to allow for facing cleanup ) and CENTRE of the block as X0Y0. Stock set-up is now defined and the part is manipulated to be within this stock ( if any piece of your part protrudes then your stock is wrong and needs fixing )

Now the tools ( these can be created now -if known, or on the fly when you create the paths )

then the views ( not required if just on a 3-axis machine-as you would only used TOP for a vertical or FRONT for a horizontal )

Now the paths
    -general info---1st tab=toolset data, 2nd tab=data for the operation ( clearance, start/finish depths, multi-passes, depths, offset, lead in/out etc)
    and 3rd or more tab = extra options for that operation

Facing---select facing, select the geometry ( the default is the stock setup boundary if you don't select any ), select / create a tool and set speed/feeds/coolant etc. Then set the 2nd tab options for clearance, retract, start/finish depths, offset, DOCs, stepover action ( loops on the ends etc )

Contour-- can be 2D or 3D, ramp, or chamfer - this controls the edge of the tool in respect of your selected contours.Select the tool, then geometry by chains (--learn the different options available for selecting geometry), and then set the 2nd tab options

This is just a broad insight to starting a job, everybody develops their own methods of getting the job done. A lot of queries may fall into place, once you do the 1st piece, you may learn better methods or disregard some as they may not apply.

But we await your next question with baited breath !!
    Steve

Well I got called back to work today so I took the file in with me and let some of the guys who do alot of programing look at it. They said that maybe it didn't have geometry or needed to be converted... I dont know what that really means.

if the file is a solid and you don't have the solid option , you can't move the part

create some curves on the needed edges then create a new WCS then use it to create your toolpath

All the files on CNCGuns that are being downloaded are IGES format. I have used a few of them, and gotten pretty good results from the solid file available there.

As Goldorak says, you will need to create toolpath from the solid. You can do this by creating curves from the solid:
    (Create>Curve>All edges>Solids>uncheck Faces>{pick solid with mouse pointer}>Done>Done>Do it)
    There are many options to work with during that process but that will get you started. It will create a line for all the edges of the part, which you can then select for toolpath creation.

Alternatively, if you have the Solids option, you can select the solid faces and create 3D geometry. This has been my method on the AR-15 pieces.

I finally took it to work and and our engineer figured out the problem it needed to be converted. Dumped it in Inventor, converted it to a Step file and its ready. Im programing it now and will machine it very soon, now I gotta order the polymer lower of the frame and small parts and Ill have a very sweet 1911. Ill start a build thread on it when I start the CNCing.